Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Find a Surgeon
Last Update: 17/01/2014 00:18
Paediatric surgery as practised in posts
approved for Specialist Surgical Training
Surgery in detail
Surgery in less detail of areas covered
by other paediatric and surgical specialties
Rehabilitation and ethics
Paediatric surgery as
practised in posts approved for Specialist Surgical Training
- A detailed knowledge of those conditions recognised as
belonging to General Paediatric Surgery including Paediatric
- Less detailed knowledge of those conditions recognised as
belonging to specialist areas within Paediatric Surgery.
- General knowledge in adjacent areas of
- paediatric neonatology
- Principles of surgical practice such as
- infection control
- electrical and radiation safety
- safety in the operating theatre
- communication with families
- rehabilitation and ethics.
Knowledge of the development, structure, function and conditions
of the organs and systems of the fetus, infant, child and
- Normal development of the embryo.
- Aetiology of developmental anomalies including genetic aspects
- Natural history of abnormalities diagnosed before birth.
- A thorough knowledge of the regional and surgical anatomy
related to areas covered in Paediatric Surgery.
Pathology and pathophysiology
- Fetal physiology and pathology
- Neonatal physiology, metabolism and pathology
- Physiological disturbances and pathology relevant to children
with surgical conditions
Surgery in detail
Examples of common conditions (including but not exclusive to)
in each of the following categories:
- Neonatal surgical conditions
- Trauma and burns, including prevention and management
- The abdomen
- Abdominal wall, hernia and inguino-scrotal conditions
- Genito-urinary tract
- Head and neck
- Skin, subcutaneous tissue and extremities
- Tumours occurring in childhood
- Thoracic (non-cardiac)
less detail of areas covered by other paediatric and surgical
- Surgical principles.
- The management of acute emergencies.
- The general management of common conditions of children.
- Ability to recognise conditions in related specialty areas, to
know their treatment options and likely prognosis/outcomes.
This syllabus should be read in conjunction with the outline of
competencies at the completion of Specialist Training in
Paediatric Surgery and the Program/Curriculum for Paediatric