On this page
The course will cover such topics as:
- Understanding learners and what is needed for learning
- Planning teaching to support learning
- Using questions effectively
- Recognising teaching and learning opportunities in the clinical environment
- How to give effective feedback and avoid the "pitfalls"
- Assessing trainees and how you as an assessor influence the reliability and validity of assessments
Is this course right for me?
The FSSE is for anyone who is involved in teaching or training in a surgical environment.
With the release of the RACS Action Plan: Building Respect and Improving Patient Safety, the Foundation Skills for Surgical Educators course is mandatory for Surgeons who are involved in the training and assessment of RACS SET Trainees.
This one-day course is delivered face-to-face by RACS Fellows and medical educators. A reading list is available prior.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points:
As RACS transitions towards a new and innovative CPD framework, there will be specific CPD activities that Fellows will be asked to undertake between January and June 2021. During this time, other education activities will not be recognised for CPD points, however we encourage Fellows to continue to participate in education activities relevant to their scope of practice and learning needs.
For Fellows who undertook this activity prior to 31 December 2020, CPD was allocated at one point per hour (maximum of seven points) in Category 3 - Maintenance of Knowledge and Skills.
For further enquiries about the new CPD program, please contact the team: CPD.College@surgeons.org or +61 3 9249 1282