On this page
By the end of the course participants will:
- define the responsibilities of supervisors, trainers and Trainees
- develop awareness of the College's training policies and legal issues
- compare work-based assessment tools and select appropriate tools for assessing different competencies
- gain skills in use of assessment tools:
- recognise the importance of feedback following assessment, and barriers to giving effective feedback.
Is this course right for me?
This course is delivered face-to-face in a three hour session.
The SAT SET course is also available online (RACS login required. However website is currently under maintenance) for RACS Fellows. The online modules incorporate the content of the face-to-face course. There are four short interactive modules, covering the topics of roles and responsibilities; work-based assessment; assessment tools; and giving feedback. The modules include videos and an opportunity to practice using work-based assessment tools, such as the Mini-CEX and DOPS.
This educational activity has been approved in the College's CPD Program. Fellows who participate can claim 1 point per hour (maximum of 3 points) in Category 3 - Maintenance of Knowledge and Skills. For those with a RACS CPD requirement this activity will be automatically uploaded to your record.
- Scholarships and Teaching
The Performance Counselling for Supervisors (PDF 211.16KB) handout contains tips that can be used to critique the performance of the supervisor in the Mid-Term Meeting Scenario.
The Assessing Surgical Trainees manual is for supervisors and trainees and provides guidelines for assessing surgical trainees under clinical assessment.