What happens if I'm selected for verification?
Don't panic, it's not as hard as you think!
RACS CPD is an annual program - 1 January to 31 December. CPD is due by 28 February 2020
If you are selected to verify your CPD activities for 2019 you must provide supporting documents confirming your participation or completion of activities you have entered into your CPD record.
All RACS activities, ANZASM activities and 'RACS approved' activities have been automatically populated in your CPD record. These activities are also automatically verified so you do not need to provide evidence for them.
The following are an example of the activities populated in your CPD by RACS:
- RACS Annual Scientific Meeting (ASC)
- RACS Examiner
- RACS SET Supervisor/trainer
- ANZAM First Line/Second Line Assessments
You can access your CPD through the RACS Portfolio > CPD to complete.
Please note if you have been selected for verification you will be notified by mail shortly.
Where can I get help?
The CPD team are available Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm (AEST) and can be contacted at +61 3 9249 1282 or email@example.com
What is reflective practice?
Reflective practice in continuous learning includes:
- Mentoring (being mentored or as a mentor) - A professional relationship where a mentor shares, knowledge, skills and perspective to develop the personal and professional growth of the mentee
- Surgical or clinical attachment to peer - Shadowing a more experienced colleague or peer during surgical procedures to enhance your own skills
- Learning plan - including setting goals for the year and reflecting on what you have learned
- Cultural competency activities - there are eLearning activities to support you to meet this requirement
- Multi source Feedback - Please contact the CPD office and we can arrange this for you
This activity must be completed by 31 December to meet 2020 CPD requirements.
- Intercultural Competency for Medical Specialists (members only; login required)
- Network for Indigenous, Cultural and Health Education (NICHE) Portal (no login required)
- NZ 'Foundations in Cultural Competence Course' Once registered, you can enrol in Foundations in Cultural Competence course.
How do I use the RACS Portfolio?
- Step 1: Log into the RACS Portfolio > My CPD
- Step 2: Confirm your practice type is correct
- Step 3: Review your requirements and add activities
- Step 4: You must add supporting documents to any activities that are not RACS approved activities
- Step 5: Once you have entered at least the minimum activities with evidence for all non-College activities, submit your CPD via the 'Finalise my 2019 CPD' button
Tips and tricks
Ensure you click on 'Finalise my 2019 CPD' to notify the RACS team that your CPD is ready for review.
Follow your progress in the RACS Portfolio on your computer, tablet or mobile.
RACS activities, ANZASM activities and RACS approved activities are automatically uploaded to your Online Diary and Verified.
You only need to verify:
- Surgical audit and peer review
- CHASM (if you are in NSW)
- Clinical governance meetings (first page of minutes only)
- Activities that are not College approved
Ask your head of unit, chair of the meetings or director to provide a letter confirming:
- your participation in a surgical audit and peer review
- attendance at clinical governance meetings
- your teaching activities.
Review the CPD guide for other forms of suitable evidence
The CPD Program Guide 2017 (PDF 706.18KB) is a valuable resource for Fellows. The guide defines program requirements by practice types, details the range of activities available for Fellows to achieve their annual requirements, and includes frequently asked questions, to support you.
And that's it! You have successfully submitted your CPD Verification! The RACS CPD Team will review the information you have submitted and contact you if they require anything further. Upon successful verification, your Statement of Completion will be issued early in 2020, and available anytime for you to download from your Portfolio.