On this page
CLEAR is designed to inform participants of the language and concepts that underpin surgical research. By examining the different study types and levels of evidence, and gaining tools to critically appraise publications of surgical trials, they are able to make real connections between research and surgical practice. Participants will then possess the knowledge and skills to pursue research in their own areas of interest.
CLEAR is a two-day course conducted for 32 participants with a faculty of five to six instructors.
Participants complete nine online modules prior to attending the face-to-face course, which is delivered through a combination of lectures and small group teaching.
Approximately 10 courses are run each year.
Teaching on skills training courses enables RACS Fellows to claim one CPD point per hour, with a maximum of 30 per annum.
Register your interest
Surgeons and clinical epidemiologists are welcome to apply to become a CLEAR Instructor. Please register your interest by:
- Ensuring minimum eligibility criteria is met
- Checking against the course pre-requisites
- Completing the instructor application form (PDF 770.31KB)
- Submitting form email@example.com
All applications to be considered by the CLEAR committee.
- Fellows and senior Trainees (SET 4+)
- Clinical epidemiologists
- Experience or formal qualification in clinical research and epidemiology
Prerequisites and training process
- Attend a CLEAR course as participant or observer (depending on experience) to gain an understanding of the course objectives, content and delivery methods
- Attend the Foundation Skills for Surgical Educators (FSSE) course (optional)
- Teach on a CLEAR course as an instructor candidate to achieve instructor status
- Teach on a CLEAR course as an instructor to finalise the training process
Instructors are required to teach a minimum of two courses (at least one of which must be 'local') per year to maintain instructor status.
The Skills Training Department is the communication link between participants, faculty and the CLEAR committee.
Skills Training Department
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
College of Surgeons' Gardens
250-290 Spring Street
East Melbourne VIC 3002 Australia
Telephone: +61 3 9249 1227