On this page
Important Update: Continuing Medical Education (CME) Program Review
RACS is currently reviewing the CME program and will be launching a new online application system in July 2021.
Between 1 January and 30 June 2021, an interim CPD program is in place where RACS Fellows will be asked to undertake two out of three of the following activities:
- Develop a Learning Plan
- Complete the RACS online activity on the new CPD Framework
- Attend the RACS Annual Scientific Congress (ASC) or Specialty Society Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM)
While we are in this interim phase, we will not be accepting any new applications for events taking place between January – June 2021.
Keep an eye out for further announcements about the 2021 CME Program in the new year.
If you have any queries please contact us at CME.Approval@surgeons.org
RACS can approve continuing medical education (CME) activities that represent a quality benchmark for Fellows and ensures that the content of an activity is relevant to the learning needs of surgeons.
Fellow attendance contributes to meeting their annual continuing professional development (CPD) requirements. Further information is contained within the RACS Continuing Professional Development Guide (PDF 706.18KB).
Activities with CME approval may include:
- Courses and workshops - clinical and/or non-technical
Benefits of CME approval
- Free course approval which includes support to education providers
- Permission to market as 'having been approved in the College's CPD program' to participants
- Use of the RACS CME approved logo
- Promotion of activities on the approved education events listing in the RACS Portfolio
- Fellow attendance is automatically populated to their CPD record by the Provider
- The CME Provider Portal will allow you to securely manage your CME applications and approved activities online
How to apply for CME approval
- Go to RACS Provider Portal (Log on with existing RACS profile OR for first time users "Create Account")
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your organisation for first time users
- Complete the "New CME application"
- Ensure all fields and appropriate documentation are complete
- Submit your application
Important information to note:
- Approval is valid for two years where content is static. Activities with changing content are approved for that activity only.
- All activity dates must be included in the portal - additional activity dates can be added throughout the approval period.
- The provider must upload Fellow attendance information within two weeks of the activity being completed. Failure to upload attendance data may result in approval being discontinued.
The approval process
All applications will be reviewed by RACS to ensure activities meet the required educational standards and criteria, and to verify that the teaching methods, learning aims and outcomes, and evaluation tools are educationally sound.
The Guide to CME activities manual (PDF 215.78KB) assists providers with planning activities and explains the criteria required for approval.
Enquiries can be directed to:
Senior Program Coordinator - Professional Standards
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
College of Surgeons' Gardens
250-290 Spring Street
East Melbourne VIC 3002 Australia
Telephone: +61 3 9249 1166