For Supervisors, membership of the Academy will provide you with:
- an opportunity to share your creative ideas and solutions for advancing surgical education in the College
- a library of resources available on topics relevant to you such as leadership, teaching, professional skills and many more.
Academy membership is open to all supervisors and is free. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your brief CV, a cover letter and names and contact details of two referees.
The Academy of Surgical Educators recognises the exceptional contribution by a surgical/SIMG supervisor toward supporting Trainees or Specialist International Medical Graduates (SIMGs) to fulfil the goals, values and mission of the College via the yearly awarding of the Education of Merit: SET Supervisor/SIMG Supervisor of the Year award. This is awarded in each state or territory of Australia and New Zealand, where an appropriate candidate has been nominated.
This award will be judged on the following criteria:
- demonstration of the College's goals, values and missions
- inspirational role modelling as a supervisor
- understanding and commitment to training and surgical education
- involvement in training and continuing professional development
- a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons or Board accredited supervisor.
The SET Supervisor/SIMG Supervisor of the Year award may be nominated by a member of the regional training board or committee, clinical team, surgical educator colleague, SIMG, Trainee or College staff member.