Webinar with Australian Deputy Chief Medical Officer
We will be setting up a webinar with Nick Coatsworth, the Australian Deputy Chief Medical Officer after Easter. Please bring forward any issues you would like to discuss with him regarding COVID-19. We will give you a few days’ notice of the meeting.
RACS Surgical Education Training (SET) programs and the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic
You may wish to read this heartfelt letter to Trainees from Associate Professor Phillip Carson and RACS Censor in Chief. It captures our sentiments not just as a College but as individuals who are doing what we can to minimise the health impacts of this worldwide crisis in these extraordinary times. Read more
Use of PPE and deployment of Trainees – a combined approach with ANZCA
We are working with ANZCA and can advise that guidelines on use of PPE and deployment of trainees are being developed. We will share this as soon as it is available.
Updated guidelines from ANZGOSA and ANZMOSS
- ANZGOSA General Guidelines for managing patients with Oesophageal and Gastric Cancer during COVID-19 pandemic
- ANZGOSA and ANZMOSS Guidelines for Triaging Upper GI and Bariatric Surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Printing and mailing of Surgical News and ANZ Journal of Surgery
The printing industry, like many other industries, is experiencing disruption. In many countries, distribution of print materials is suspended, making it impossible to ensure copies reach intended destinations. Fewer passenger flights and the need to prioritise medical supplies has also reduced the availability of air freight.
Given these obstacles and concerns, as well as the desire to reduce pressure on supply-chain vendors to send their employees to work and increase their risk of exposure to the virus, we have suspended all printing and distribution of the ANZ Journal of Surgery and Surgical News until further notice.
The ANZ Journal of Surgery can be accessed via Wiley Online Library and Surgical News is also available online.
- Elective surgery recommendations from specialty societies
- RACS COVID-19 information hub
- Optimal surgical approach during the COVID-19 pandemic by Associate Professor David Cavallucci
- The Australian Government has developed an app which holds relevant COVID-19 information. Download via Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Australian Department of Health website
- New Zealand Ministry of Health website
- Health Direct Australia