Assoc Prof Jafri Kuthubutheen
- Dr. Kuthubutheen graduated from the University of Western Australia with a Bachelor of Medicine and a Bachelor of Surgery with Honours in 2002. He then undertook specialist ENT training in Perth, Western Australia and obtained his Fellowship in Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery in 2010.
- From 2011 he worked as a Consultant ENT surgeon at two of Western Australia’s teaching hospitals – Royal Perth Hospital and Fremantle Hospital for one and a half years. During this time he was also a visiting ENT surgeon to rural and remote Western Australia, with an interest in Indigenous Ear Health.
- In 2012 he left for Canada to pursue further specialist training as a Fellow in Otology and Skull Base Surgery at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto. Under the guidance of Dr. Joseph Chen, Dr. Julian Nedzelski and Dr. Vincent Lin, he worked in one of the busiest tertiary adult ear surgery centres in Canada for 2 and 1/2 years. Sunnybrook runs the largest Cochlear Implant program and Acoustic Neuroma service in the country. During his time there, he became the inaugural J Pearson Fellow in Otology and Skull Base Surgery and helped to establish several new research projects.
- Prior to leaving for Canada, he was awarded the Warren Jones Postgraduate Research Scholarship from the Fremantle Hospital Medical Research Foundation and the University of Western Australia. In 2017 he obtained his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in the field of Cochlear Implantation from the University of Western Australia.
- He is actively involved in teaching medical students, residents, registrars and fellows. He has presented at many local and international conferences and has been an invited speaker and instructor at overseas skull base surgery courses. His research interests are in the field of hearing loss, cochlear implantation, chronic ear disease, and skull base surgery.
- He is the current the ENT Clinical Lead in the Kimberley Region of Western Australia.
Jafri now works as a full time sub-specialist Otology and Skull Base Surgeon at Fiona Stanley Hospital, Perth Children's Hospital and Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital as well as in private at Western ENT.
Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
Areas of Practice