- A fund of up to A$300,000 has been provided with a maximum of A$160,000 to be spent by the College on the scheme within a 12-month period;
- The College set up this facility for the provision of loans to Fellows who require financial assistance to undertake further research and/or training outside Australia and New Zealand;
- Loans will not exceed A$20,000 each and will be subject to the availability of funding;
- The level of funding will be dependent on each application, including: the type of research and/or training being undertaken and the degree of need demonstrated.
- Be a Fellow of the College;
- Be in good financial standing;
- Demonstrate financial need;
- Be assessed as undertaking appropriate research and/or training;
- Not have an application pending, nor have received a RACS scholarship within the last five years;
- Not receive more than one loan every five years.
All applications will be acknowledged upon receipt once it has been determinded that the required information has been included and that the applicant meets the eligibility requirements.
Applications must contain:
- Completed Application Form
- Supporting cover letter for application
- A current CV
- The proposed research and/or training to be conducted
- The research institution details
- The Supervisor must provide a letter of confirmation from the research institution that the
applicant has been accepted and a position has been provided
- Commencement and completion date of research and/or training
- Total funds required at a maximum of A$20,000
- Any other sources of funding
- Proposed repayment plan - The applicant will receive the funds interest free provided the loan is repaid within 12 months after the completion of the research and/or training.
Applications can be submitted at any time and assessment of received applications is undertaken by the Chair, Professional Development and Standards Board (PDSB) and the Executive Director for Surgical Affairs (EDSA) for reviewing and approval. The recommendations from this review are then forwarded to the Treasurer for approval.
Please also read the Loans for Travelling Fellows policy (PDF 34.07KB) for further information on the application process.
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
250-290 Spring Street
East Melbourne VIC 3002 Australia
Telephone: +61 3 9249 1220
Fax: +61 3 9249 1219