On this page
Scholarships with extended deadline for applications
Special announcement: The following scholarships have had their deadline extended until Monday 8 June 2020:
- Margorie Hooper Travel Scholarship
- RACS Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander SET Trainee One Year Scholarship
- RACS Māori SET Trainee One Year Scholarship
Please get your applications by this date for them to be considered alongside the applications already received.
Important notice regarding COVID-19
We thank those of you who have applied for and inquired about our 2021 round of scholarships, grants and Fellowships.
Unfortunately, the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has significantly impacted our Scholarship and Grant Program. The RACS Scholarship and Grant Program is funded from a resilient and strong corpus which has historically thrived. However, COVID-19 has negatively impacted the stock market worldwide.
Our immediate priority is to provide additional flexibility to current scholars so they may safely complete their activities. Consequently, RACS Board of Council has made the difficult decision to limit the current Scholarship and Grant Program offerings for the 2021 program.
The following scholarships will proceed and remain open for applications
Herbert and Gloria Kees Research Scholarship
Margorie Hooper Travel Scholarship
RACS Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander SET Trainee One Year Scholarship
RACS Māori SET Trainee One Year Scholarship
Other RACS scholarships that will proceed and remain open for applications
Surgical Skills Course Grant for Rural Junior Doctors
Incumbent recipients of the following multi-year agreement opportunities will continue
John Loewenthal Project Grant
Paul Mackay Bolton Scholarship for Cancer Research
Senior Lecturer Fellowship
Surgeon Scientist Scholarship
Sir Roy McCaughey Surgical Fellowship
The following opportunities are currently under review*
Tour de Cure Cancer Research Scholarship
Other RACS scholarships that are under review
Bongiorno National Network Travel Grant
The Davison Family Scholarship
Medtronic Travelling Fellowship Grants
RACS Career Enhancement Scholarship for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Junior Doctors
RACS Career Enhancement Scholarship for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Medical Students
RACS Career Enhancement Scholarships for Māori Junior Doctors
RACS Career Enhancement Scholarships for Māori Medical Students
Younger Fellows Leadership Exchange
The following offerings are now unable to proceed
Anwar and Myrtha Girgis IMG Scholarship
ASE Surgical Education Scholarship
Aziz Hamza Rural Surgery Scholarship
Brendan Dooley/Gordon Trinca Trauma Research Scholarship
Catherine Marie Enright Kelly Memorial Research Scholarship
Eric Bishop Research Scholarship
F & P Thornell Shore Fellowship
Foundation for Surgery Fellowship
Foundation for Surgery Research Scholarship
Hugh Johnston ANZ Chapter ACS Travelling Fellowship
Hugh Johnston Travel Grant
Ian & Ruth Gough Surgical Education Scholarship
James Ramsay Project Grant
John Buckingham Travelling Scholarship
John Mitchell Crouch Fellowship
MAIC-RACS Trauma Scholarship
Morgan Travelling Fellowship
Murray & Unity Pheils Travel Scholarship
NZ Research Scholarship
Paul Mackay Bolton Scholarship
Peter King Research Scholarship
Philip Walker Research Scholarship
Pickard Robotic Training Scholarship
Poate Family Plastic & Reconstructive Surgical Travel Grant
Reg Worcester Research Scholarship
Research Scholarship in Surgical Ethics
Richard Jepson Research Scholarship
Sir Roy McCaughey Fellowship
Small Projects Grant
Stuart Morson Scholarship in Neurosurgery
WG Norman Research Scholarship
Other RACS Scholarships that are unable to proceed
EMST and CCrISP® Coordinator Professional Assistance Program
Katherine Edyvane Scholarship in Humanitarian Surgery
RACS Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island ASC Award
RACS Maori ASC Award
Royal College of Surgeons or Thailand Grant
Rural Surgery Fellowship for Provincial Surgeons
Rowan Nicks Fellowship and Scholarships
Global Health Travel Grant for Asia Pacific Surgeons
Skills Training Faculty Scholarship
Surgeons International Award
Weary Dunlop Boon Pong Exchange Fellowship
Court of Examiners
We are very sorry we have had to reduce our program offerings for 2021 and thank everyone for the considerable efforts that went into applications for the impacted scholarships.
*This page will be updated regularly with the review outcomes
Important general conditions
All applicants must read this section carefully before making an application. These conditions, together with the conditions contained in the award policy, are binding.
Read the appropriate policy before writing an application. This can be found on the individual scholarship/grant information web page.
Applicants must apply on the prescribed form, where applicable, accompanied by a brief curriculum vitae of no more than three pages, unless otherwise stated.
Handwritten applications will not be accepted. Do not submit the application form or CV bound in any way or on coloured paper.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure the application is received by RACS by the closing date. Late applications will not be considered. Please contact the ANZ Scholarship and Grant Coordinator if you do not receive a confirmation within one week of applying. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the application has been received.
Unless specified otherwise, these opportunities are conditional upon the applicant being a permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand, or an International Medical Graduate (IMG).
All applicants will be assessed on some or all the following: Academic record, postgraduate training, research experience, publication history, research project, demonstrated plan of training or study that is being envisaged to be supported by the award, written support from the administering institution, the project's likely impact, references, experience of the supervisor and reputation of the institution where the research is to be undertaken. Please see the policy for details.
Confidential references from those identified in the application, electronically signed and directly emailed from referees or hand-signed hard copies sent by post, must reach RACS by the closing date, unless otherwise agreed. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure this occurs. It is essential to inform referees of the closing date.
Where applications specify that a higher degree must be undertaken, evidence of this enrolment must be produced before 1 January of the year of the award, unless otherwise agreed.
Trainees and SET applicants
Where applications are open to all RACS Trainees, then applicants to surgical training are also eligible to apply in anticipation of their acceptance into the Surgical Education and Training (SET) Program, unless otherwise stated. Evidence of acceptance must be received by November in the year before the award commences.
Trainees and SET applicants must notify their specialty board and/or appropriate department to advise them of their potential deferral or interruption if successful. A copy of this communication must be provided with their scholarship application.
Professional development and travel applications
Travel applicants must not have commenced their travel before the closing date of applications, except in approved circumstances.
Unless stated otherwise, travel/training/study is for the advertised scholarship year.
If the application is from the Leader Researcher of a project team or group (rather than individual) please submit an abbreviated CV (biosketch) of no more than two pages for each member of the team. Clearly state who is the Lead Researcher in your application.
Where applications specify that ethics approval is required, evidence of this approval must be produced, either before or during the scholarship period.
Selected research scholarships are available, subject to approval, on a part-time basis, as indicated in the relevant policy conditions. Part-time is defined as half the usual research hours worked by a research scholar. Part-time scholarships are restricted to scholarship recipients wishing to undertake research only. Scholarships will not be offered on this basis for scholars to concurrently undertake research and clinical loads other than as stated in the conditions. Please see the Scholarships part-time policy (PDF 31.45KB) (PDF 31.45KB).
Unless specified otherwise, preference will be given to research conducted at an approved institute in Australia or New Zealand.
A limited number of research scholarships require short-listed applicants to participate in a telephone interview. Selected applicants may be interviewed by an award-specific panel, (please see specific policies for more information). Assessment will be based upon the candidates understanding of the research project.
Applicable short-listed applicants will be interviewed by a panel comprised of the Chair of the ANZ Scholarship and Grant Committee and two other committee members.
Interviews will concentrate on the candidate's understanding of the research project.
All interviews will be arranged by the Scholarship and Grant Department and held in June via teleconference.
Scholarships and grants offered by the ANZ Scholarship and Grant Program
Awards marked with * are not on offer for the 2021 Scholarship and grant program year. This will be reviewed for 2022.
Awards marked with # are currently the ONLY ANZ Scholarship program awards on offer for 2021.
- Academy of Surgical Educators (ASE) Surgical Education Research Scholarship
- Anwar and Myrtha Girgis IMG Scholarship
- Aziz Hamza Rural Surgery Scholarship
- Brendan Dooley/Gordon Trinca Trauma Research Scholarship
- Catherine Marie Enright Kelly Memorial Research Scholarship
- Eric Bishop Research Scholarship
- Frances & Phyllis Thornell-Shore Memorial Trust for Medical Research Fellowship
- Fellowship in Surgical Education (Canada)
- Foundation for Surgery Research Fellowship
- Foundation for Surgery Research Scholarship
- Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Scholarship
- Herbert and Gloria Kees Research Scholarship #
- Hugh Johnston ANZ Chapter ACS Travelling Fellowship
- Hugh Johnston Travel Grant
- Ian and Ruth Gough Surgical Education Scholarship
- James Ramsay Research Grant
- John Buckingham Travelling Scholarship
- John Loewenthal Research Project
- John Mitchell Crouch Fellowship
- Louis Waller Medico-Legal Research Scholarship
- Lumley Surgical Research Scholarship
- MAIC-RACS Trauma Research Scholarship
- Margorie Hooper Travel Scholarship #
- Morgan Travelling Fellowship
- Murray and Unity Pheils Travel Scholarship
- New Zealand (NZ) Research Scholarship
- Paul Mackay Bolton Scholarship for Cancer Research
- Peter King Research Scholarship
- Pickard Robotic Training Scholarship
- Poate Family Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Travel Grant
- Professor Philip Walker RACS Vascular Surgery Research Scholarship
- Roy & Marjory Edwards Research Scholarship
- RACS Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander SET Trainee One Year Scholarship #
- RACS Māori SET Trainee One Year Scholarship #
- Reg Worcester Research Scholarship
- Research Scholarship in Military Surgery
- Research Scholarship in Surgical Ethics
- Richard Jepson Research Scholarship
- Senior Lecturer Fellowship
- Small Project Grant
- Sir Roy McCaughey Research Fellowship
- Stuart Morson Scholarship in Neurosurgery
- Surgeon Scientist Research Scholarship
- Tour de Cure Cancer Research Scholarship
- W G Norman Research Scholarship
Scholarships sorted by conditions, eligibility, specialty and interest
UPDATE: Due to COVID-19 some of these opportunities may be either under review or not being offered. This will be confirmed by 7 April 2020. Please check this website regularly for further updates.
- Research-related opportunities
- Research opportunities where undertaking a higher degree is not essential
- Travel and professional development opportunities
- Specialty-focused and interest-focused opportunities
- Opportunities for Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Māori applicants
- Opportunities with more than one year duration
- Opportunities for non-RACS applicants
- Opportunities for SET Trainees and SET applicants only
- Opportunities for RACS Fellows only
- Opportunities for Younger Fellows
Contact details for ANZ Scholarship and Grant Program
ANZ Scholarship and Grant Coordinator
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Office: 51-54 Palmer Place, North Adelaide SA
Postal: 199 Ward Street, North Adelaide SA 5006 Australia
Telephone: +61 8 8219 0924