Who can apply?
Applications are open to RACS Fellow who have gained their Fellowship within the past ten years.
It is expected applicants have a major interest and accomplishment in basic or clinical sciences related to surgery.
The recipient must spend a minimum of three weeks in the USA. While there, they are required to:
- attend and participate in the ACS Annual Clinical Congress
- participate in the congress’ formal convocation ceremony
- visit at least two medical centres in North America before or after the congress to lecture and share clinical and scientific expertise with local surgeons.
The academic and geographic aspects of the travel itinerary are to be finalised in consultation and agreement with the recipient and the president of the ANZ Chapter of the ACS prior to the commencement of travel. Any changes to the travel program require approval by the president and RACS.
Applicants must not have commenced their travels prior to the closing date for applications.
SelectionPreference may be given to applicants who hold an academic appointment in Australia or New Zealand.
Additional funding from external bodies may affect selection.
The selection panel is comprised of:
- The Chair or their nominee and a second member of the ANZSGC
- ANZ Chapter President and executive member.
How to apply
The application is to include:
- the potential benefits from the travel to the individual, the ANZ Chapter of the ACS and to RACS.
Past recipients are ineligible to reapply to the Hugh Johnston ANZ Chapter ACS Travel Fellowship.
The recipient is expected to make a brief (5-10 minute) presentation outlining their report and including the impact this opportunity will make on surgery in Australia and New Zealand. It is expected this is presented at the ANZ Chapter of the ACS meeting at the RACS Annual Scientific Congress in May of the following year.
The recipient must provide RACS with a written report in the requested format on the meeting attended and institutions visited, as well as information on sessions attended and benefits gained.
Conditions and application