Policy and guideline
Who can apply?
Applications are open to SET Trainees and RACS Fellows who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, including being eligible to be a member of the Australian Indigenous Doctors' Association (AIDA) and who have demonstrable links to their community
The grant may fund an activity or a field of study to advance the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. These costs may include but are not limited to education costs, postgraduate studies, course fees, research projects, mentoring programs, travel and accommodation expenses
Preference will be given to applicants wishing to use the grant funding towards attaining a Master's degree or PhD.
Your application is to include:
- your career and employment details
- a statement addressing your aspirations and commitment to a surgical career, the relevance of the activity to your current stage of training or medical career, and current and future commitment to Māori or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- evidence of eligibility for membership to Te ORA or to AIDA
- name and email addresses for two referees (recommenders) who will then receive an invitation to view parts of your online application and provide a recommendation. It is preferred that one of your referees is an AIDA or Te ORA representative or a community leader
Selection and awarding
Selection is based upon:
- your activity proposal including the expected outcomes and proposed costs of your activity
- your statements addressing your aspirations and commitment to pursuing a surgical career
- how the activity will help you towards a surgical career
- how you have contributed to or are currently contributing to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health or Māori health and how you will contribute in the future.
The selection panel is comprised of members of the Indigenous Health Committee and may include other committee members and invited representatives.
- payment is made directly to the recipient by 1 March in the scholarship year (following receipt of a valid invoice)
To applyApplication is via the Scholarships and Grants Program online platform, RACS Unlock, hosted by Survey Monkey Apply.
You may register as an applicant on RACS Unlock at any time, however applications will not display on your dashboard until the Scholarships and Grants Program application opening date in April. There is no need to re-register if you already have a RACS Unlock registration.
Please note: emailed applications are not accepted.
Visit RACS Unlock