The Surgical Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (SGE) Committee was established in September 2016.
Surgeons as endoscopists engage with a diverse range of stakeholders. To ensure collaboration at all levels and with all agencies, a consistent reference point for this engagement is required. The formation of this Committee addresses the need to provide central coordination for matters relating to surgical gastrointestinal endoscopy in Australia and New Zealand.
The SGE Committee reports to the Education Board and is governed by the SGE Committee Terms of Reference (PDF 37.44KB).
The broad objectives of the Committee are to:
- Develop gastrointestinal endoscopy standards of practice;
- Provide advice to RACS Training Boards and external organisations involved with gastrointestinal endoscopy training on standards of education and training of endoscopists;
- Establish a competency based recertification model for surgical gastrointestinal endoscopy in Australia and New Zealand;
- Certification and recertification of practising colonscopists
- Provide oversight of service delivery standards in Australia and New Zealand;
- Advocate for improved outcomes regarding access to training for SET Trainees and International Medical Graduates, in bowel cancer screening and other issues relating to surgical gastrointestinal endoscopy;
- Provide reference and support for surgeon representatives on colonoscopy and bowel cancer screening related organisations and agencies.
The Committee aims to promote communication across all stakeholders, with the aim of building relationships and increasing credibility and transparency. This importance of strong collaboration with the Surgical Societies and with GESA in particular is recognised.
Mr Richard Perry - Chair
Mr Brian Kirkby - BIGS (Australia) Representative, CCRTGE AU
Dr Marianne Lill - General Surgery (New Zealand) Representative
Dr Melinda Van Oosterum- Rural Representative CCRTGE AU
Mr Greg Makin - Colorectal Surgery Representative
Professor Neil Merrett - Upper GI Representative (and ERCP)
Mr Michael Donovan - Co-opted Member (General Surgery Australia Representative)
Mr Iain Skinner - Co-opted Member (CCRTGE AU)
Dr Dan Croagh - Co-opted Member (CCRTGE AU)
Mr Mike Hulme-Moir - Co-opted Member (EGGNZ)
Mr Julian Hayes -Colorectal Surgery Representative (NZ)
Mr Julian Speight – NZAGS NZ
Vacant - Paediatric Surgery Representative
Surgical Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Committee
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
250-290 Spring Street
East Melbourne VIC 3002
Telephone: +61 3 9276 7425