Trainees and IMGs who have met the criteria for Fellowship initiate applications by submitting a completed application form. The minimum timeframe for an application to be approved and admission kit sent to the applicant, after the initial applications has been received by the College, is 3-4 weeks. Fellowship will then be confirmed in writing once the applicant has completed the necessary forms and full payment has been made and receipted. Expedited applicants, in addition, need to wait until after their training completion date and final approval from the Board before Fellowship can be confirmed.
Application for Admission to Fellowship Form
Download the Fellowship Application form (PDF 50.13KB).
- Surgical Trainees - Please fill in sections 1 and 2 only on the Application for Admission to Fellowship Form.
- IMGs - Please fill in sections 1 and 2 only on the Application for Admission to Fellowship.
Forms must be emailed to Administrative Officer - Surgical Training Department, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons; email: email@example.com. For more information, please call +61 3 9276 7480.
Applications are processed on a monthly cycle (with the exception of the Christmas holiday period).
Approval process and timeline
- The Specialty Board Executive Officer (for specialties administered by the College), or the Specialist Society Executive Officer (for specialties administered by the Specialist Society) will review the application and advise the BSET Executive Officer as to whether all requirements have been met.
- The Specialty Board Chair signs off the application on the advice of the Specialty Board or Specialist Society Executive Officer.
- The Executive of the Board of Surgical Education and Training approves the application via email.
- The Censor in Chief approves the application via email.
- The Director, Education Training and Assessment signs out the Trainee or IMG file, and forwards to the Fellowship Database Officer.
- The Fellowship Database Officer sends an admission kit to the applicant, including an invoice for Fellowship entrance and subscription fees.
- When the Fellowship entrance and subscription fees have been paid, the Fellowship Database Officer advises the applicant that admission has been approved and issues the applicant with documentation that verifies their Fellowship. The Fellow can then pass this documentation on for credentialling, regulatory and insurance purposes. The Fellowship Certificate is dispatched at a later date, usually within eight weeks after admission to Fellowship. All new Fellows are invited to attend the College Convocation Ceremony, held in conjunction with the Annual Scientific Congress (ASC). Fellows invited to convocate must comply with the instructions provided by the College.
Refer to the Admission to Fellowship policy (PDF 220.81KB) for further information.