On 10 November 2015, the Royal Australasian College of
Surgeons (RACS) launched an online application system for
International Medical Graduates (IMGs) to apply for the RACS
Specialist and/or Area of Need Assessment Pathway.
The new web-based online form provides a streamlined application
process for candidates. Paper-based applications will not be
accepted after 10 November 2015.
The new online application system delivers:
- clearer application requirements and categorization
- a reduction in documents required
- functionality that allows applicants to upload documents, save
their application and login multiple times
- a clear snapshot of application progress and outstanding
- automated reminders of approaching application deadlines and
- ability to pay online
Before submitting an application for a Specialist and/or Area of
Need assessment you must:
- Read the Guidelines for
- Read the Specialist Assessment of IMGs in Australia policy.
- Read the relevant specialty specific, Comparable Specialist
Surgical Training and Exit Exam policy applicable to
- Read the Checklist
for Specialist and/or Area of Need Assessment
- Apply directly to the Educational Commission for Foreign
Medical Graduate's (ECFMG) Electronic Portfolio of International
Credentials (EPIC) for verification of both primary and specialist
- Complete an Australian Medical Council (AMC) online application
to establish an AMC portfolio.
- Apply to RACS for a Specialist and/or AoN
Operating systems and internet browsers
The online IMG application form for specialist and/or Area of
Need assessment can be used on both PC and Apple tablets and
It is best used with the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 9 & 10
- Firefox 28.0 +
- Chrome 33.0 +
- Safari 5.1.7 +
There are known issues with IE 11 and it is not supported in the
If you are having trouble logging on to the application form,
please contact the HelpDesk on +61 3 9276 7417 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information regarding the online application forms,
call +61 3 9249 1112 or email email@example.com
Click here to access the online Application
In New Zealand
In New Zealand, International Medical Graduates (IMGs) must
submit applications to practice medicine to the Medical Council of
New Zealand (MCNZ). Application forms are available on the MCNZ website.