Interim assessment: substantially comparable
IMG surgeons are assessed as substantially comparable if there
- of recent surgical practice in the relevant specialty
- completion of a specialist training program comparable to the
RACS programs including the competencies, skills and
- the applicant has completed an exit examination comparable to
the RACS Fellowship Examination and/or
- the depth and scope of surgical practice in the specialty since
the attainment of their surgical qualification is of a sufficiently
high standard or duration as to waive the need to sit the
IMG surgeons who are assessed as substantially comparable will
be required to complete the following before being eligible for
specialist recognition and Fellowship of the College:
- undergo a period of up to 12 months of clinical assessment
commencing on MBA Level 3 supervision requirements, progressing to
MBA Level 4 supervision based on satisfactory performance.
- complete professional development activities and
- complete any specified up-skilling.
The flowchart depicts the process undertaken by an IMG if they
are assessed as substantially comparable.
Successful completion of assessment requirements entitles you to
specialist recognition and/or Fellowship of RACS.
Visit the College website for the Guidelines for
Substantially Comparable IMG Surgeons Undergoing Clinical