In 2008 eight (8)* Trainees were appointed into the SET program
to commence in 2009
In 2009 six (6)* Trainees were appointed into the SET program to
commence in 2010
In 2010 nine (9)* Trainees were appointed into the SET program to
commence in 2011
In 2011 three (3)* Trainees were appointed into the SET program to
commence in 2012
In 2012 nine (9)* Trainees were appointed into the SET program to
commence in 2013
In 2013 six (6)* Trainees were appointed into the SET Program to
commence in 2014
In 2014 six (6)* Trainees were appointed into the SET Program to
commence in 2015
In 2015 seven (7)* Trainees were appointed into the SET Program to
commence in 2016
In 2016 seven (7)* Trainees were appointed into the SET Program to
commence in 2017
In 2017 five (5)* Trainees were appointed to the SET Program to
commence in 2018
2018 SET selection specialty specific eligibility
This information is a general overview of requirements and
criteria. Please refer to the Specialty Board's Selection Regulations (PDF
155 KB) for further information.
The following is a list of selection tools and their
contributions to the overall score:
- Structured Online Curriculum Vitae - 30%
- Structured Online Referee Reports - 25%
- Semi-structured Interview - 45%
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Selection Initiative
RACS has approved the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
Selection Initiative policy and the Board of Paediatric Surgery
will implement this initiate in the 2018 process for the 2019
Successful progression to interview
The Board of Paediatric Surgery has set the minimum eligibility
criteria for progression to interview as follows:
Structured Curriculum Vitae and
Online Referee Report combined score of greater than or equal to
||Validity Period 
||Time of application
|Paediatric Surgery 
||Time of application
|Generic Surgical Sciences Examination
||Time of application
Structured online curriculum vitae (CV)
CV will score information on, and require documented evidence
- Surgical and medical experience
- Qualifications (degrees, masters, PhD, FRACS, etc.)
- Publications and Presentations
- Skills courses
No additional CV information will be accepted from
Method of allocating CV scores (PDF 89
Structured online referee reports
Applicants must provide current contact details,
including a valid e-mail address for all of their consultants with
whom they have worked with in the last two (2) years (since 1
A minimum of (6) referees is required.
Who can qualify as a referee?
- FRACS Surgical Consultants from Australia or New Zealand (must
include at least one FRACS Paediatric Surgeon responder)
- Vocationally Registered Paediatric Surgeon in New Zealand
What is the time period in which a referee will be
- Referees must be from within the last two (2) years
How are referees selected?
- The applicant is asked to list all of their supervising
consultants that they have worked with in the last two (2) years
and then six (6) are contacted from that list, with a minimum of
one (1) being a FRACS paediatric surgeon.
How are the structured online referee reports collected
- The Board will send an online structured referee report to six
(6) listed referees
- The score consists of an average of a minimum of five (5)
- Should the minimum of five (5) valid referee reports not be
obtained, the applicant will be ineligible to proceed to
- An application will be considered ineligible where at least one
(1) FRACS Paediatric Surgical Consultant (or a Vocationally
Registered Paediatric Surgeon in New Zealand) referee report has
not been obtained.
Date of interviews: 16 June 2018
Date invitations to interview sent: Ten (10) days before
The interviews for both Australian and New Zealand applicants
will be held in Sydney, New South Wales.
The format of the interviews will be as follows:
- Four (4) interview panels
- Two (2) interviewers per panel
Problem solving / critical assessment of information
Collaboration and teamwork
Emotional and social intelligence: Ethics, Self-assessment and
Empathy and insight
- Some stations will commence with a hypothetic scenario which
may be presented verbally, written or as a short film clip using
actors to illustrate a situation. This allows follow-up questions
to explore the applicant's insight, problem solving and attributes
in relation to each selection criteria and particularly as they
correlate to the nine RACS competencies.
- All applicants are asked the same initiating question for each
station followed by semi-structured probing questions. Each
panel forms an assessment both on the panel question and seperately
makes an assessment of the applicants communication skills
demonstrated during the interview.
Applicants invited to interview will be required to
Additional minimum selection criteria
- Applicants must score a minimum of 15 marks out of a
maximum of 25 of the total interview score to be considered
eligible to progress to the final stage of the selection process
and be ranked with an overall score.
- The minimum score needed to be appointed to Paediatric Surgery
training is 72%. This is a combined score of CV, Referee
Reports and Interview.
Announcement of offers
Announcement of offers to successful applicants will be
made on: 23 July 2018.
Feedback to both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be
in accordance with Selection
to Surgical Education and Training Policy.
1. Rotations must have been completed within the validity
2. A total of six (6) months supervised postgraduate
clinical work in surgery comprised of terms no shorter than ten
(10) weeks completed within the last three (3) years before the
closing date for applications (since 1 January 2015).
3. A minimum ten (10) week term in a tertiary paediatric
surgical unit composing fulltime paediatric surgery workload,
accompanied by a letter of verification from a FRACS paediatric
surgeon; completed within the last five (5) years before the
closing date for application (since 1 January 2013).
NB: In addition to the Board mandated eligibility
requirements for surgical rotations, applicants are instructed to
complete surgical experience sufficient to ensure that the minimum
requirement for referees is covered.