Clinical Examiner Training Course
The aim of this course is to standardise examiner performance to
ensure that candidates are assessed consistently and reliably. It
ensures all examiners are adhering to an agreed standard for exam
protocol, conduct and marking so that candidates receive a
Completion of the training course is a mandatory requirement for
all new appointees to the Faculty of
Completing the course qualifies RACS Fellows for 5 CPD
Points in Maintenance of Knowledge and Skills.
Prerequisites and training process:
- Confirmation of appointment to the Faculty of Clinical
- Sign up to examine at a Clinical Examination
- Enrol in the Clinical Examiner Training Course
- Complete the eLearning modules in the weeks prior to the
face-to-face training session (2 hours to complete)
- Attend the face-to-face training session (2.5 hours)
- Examine at a Clinical Examination
The course is faciliated by members of the Clinical Examination
Committee. Topics covered include:
- The role of the Clinical Examiner
- The marking system & feedback to candidates
- The tablet marking system
- Examiner conduct & professionalism
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able
- Understand marking to a standard
- Assess candidate performance in a manner consistent with other
- Identify the differences between similar candidate
- Identify professional and unprofessional examiner conduct
- Demonstrate confidence in the use of the tablet marking
The course consists of two parts - eLearning modules and a
face-to-face training session.
The two parts are connected; this means that if you sign up to
the course you need to be able to complete the eLearning modules
online, as well as attend the face-to-face training session.
Access to the five eLearning modules are to be completed in the
weeks prior to the face-to-face training session. They should take
approximately 2 hours to complete. Included in the modules are
videos of simulated Clinical Exams. You will be able to mark the
candidates as if you were marking a real exam.
Face-to-face Training Session
The face-to-face session usually takes place the afternoon
before the Clinical Exams (Friday 3.30pm-6pm) and is facilitated by
members of the Clinical Examination Committee. The marking results
from the eLearning modules will be reviewed, and you will mark more
candidate videos with the opportunity for discussion.
How to enrol
Following appointment to the Faculty of Clinical Examiners, and
signing up to attend a Clinical Examination, send an email to email@example.com.
Instructions, access to the eLearning modules, and confirmation of
enrolment in the face-to-face session will be provided.
Dates and locations
Clinical Examiner Training Course face-to-face sessions are
scheduled the day before each Clinical Examination. See Clinical
Examination dates and locations.
Currently the course is not offered in New Zealand. New Zealand
based Fellows may attend the course and examine in Australia
(travel expenses will be reimbursed). Additional examiner training
course dates may be scheduled separately from the examination
weekends if demand requires.
Training Course Enquiries
Examinations Team Leader
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
College of Surgeons' Gardens
250-290 Spring Street
East Melbourne VIC 3002 Australia
Telephone: +61 3 9249 1222