program teaches a systematic, concise approach to the care of a
trauma patient. Its courses provide a safe and reliable method for
immediate management of injured patients.
The EMST program runs in Australia and New Zealand and is
equivalent to the Advanced Trauma Life Support® (ATLS®) program
in other parts of the world.
EMST is a two and a half day course conducted by a faculty of
six instructors plus a director for 16 participants. The course
program includes lectures, practical skill stations, case scenarios
Approximately 80 courses are run each year across Australia and
New Zealand by a multi-disciplinary faculty that work in surgery,
emergency medicine, anaesthetics, intensive care and general
practice. A list of this year's EMST courses is available on the EMST Course Schedule.
Teaching on Skills Training courses enables RACS Fellows to
claim 1 CPD point per hour, with a maximum of 30 per annum. Awards
and scholarships are available for faculty.
Register your interest
Medical practitioners who wish to instruct on the EMST program
must meet the below criteria in order to be eligible to apply for
the EMST instructor course. Please note that instructor course
selection is highly competitive and limited to 32-48 places a year.
Selection criteria is dependent on the needs of the EMST program,
specialty and area of practice.
Please register your interest by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nomination as a potential Instructor on a provider or refresher
- Current EMST/ATLS status (completed a course within the last 4
years or 6 years for surgical applicants)
- Minimum level of seniority at PGY4
- Interest and or involvement in clinical trauma management
- Interest in teaching
- Ability to commit to teaching on EMST for a minimum of 4
- Successfully complete an EMST provider or refresher course and
be nominated as a potential Instructor
- Attend and successfully complete an EMST instructor course
- Teach on an EMST course as an Instructor Candidate to achieve
- Teach a minimum of one course per year to maintain Instructor
Instructor reciprocity exists between EMST and the ATLS® program
worldwide. If you are an ATLS® instructor living in Australia/NZ
wishing to instruct, please contact email@example.com and provide verification of
your instructor status in your home country.
The Skills Training Department is the communication link between
participants, faculty and the EMST committee.
EMST Program Administrator
Skill Training Department
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
College of Surgeons' Gardens
250-290 Spring Street
East Melbourne VIC 3002 Australia
Telephone: +61 3 9249 1289
Fax: +61 3 9249 1298