Junior doctor and Wiradjuri woman Dr Claudia Paul is passionate about Indigenous health and opportunities for Indigenous medical students and junior doctors. Dr Paul is only the third Australian Aboriginal woman to be awarded a Rhodes Scholarship. With welcome the support from Foundation of Surgery, she's currently studying a PhD at Oxford University. In this episode, she says she would like to see surgical care more equitable to all Australians, including better accessibility and health care outcomes to Indigenous Australians.
To support Indigenous health scholarships, like the ones that helped Dr Claudia Paul on her journey, please donate now.
- Secombe P, Brown A, McAnulty G, Pilcher D. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients requiring critical care: characteristics, resource use, and outcomes. Crit Care Resusc. 2019. http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85071617883&partnerID=8YFLogxK
- Bureau of Health Information. Patient Perspectives – Hospital care for Aboriginal people. Sydney (NSW); BHI; 2016.
- Peiris D, Brown A, Howard M et al. Building better systems of care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people: findings from the Kanyini health systems assessment. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-12-369
- Australian Government. National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Plan 2013 – 2023, Australian Government, Canberra. 2013.https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/B92E980680486C3BCA257BF0001BAF01/$File/health-plan.pdf
- Azzopardi P S, Sawyer S M, Carlin J B et al. Health and wellbeing of Indigenous adolescents in Australia: a systematic synthesis of population data. The Lancet. 2018.http://doi.org/10.1016/ S0140-6736(17)32141-4.
- Thong DW, Kim J, Dobson B et al. Variation in anti- microbial prescription and complications post emergency appendicectomy in Australia: do we follow recommended guidelines? ANZ J. Surg. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.15099.
- Henman K, Gordon C, Gardiner T et al. Surgical site infections following caesarean section at Royal Darwin Hospital, Northern Territory. Healthcare Infection. 2012.http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/HI11027
- De Jager E, Gunnarsson R, Ho, Y. Measuring the quality of surgical care provision to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients. ANZ J. Surg. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.15535.
- Commons R J, Robinson C H, Gawler D et al. High burden of diabetic foot infections in the top end of Australia: An emerging health crises (DEFINE study). Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2015.09.016
- West M, Chuter V, Munteanu S, Hawke F. Defining the gap: a systematic review of the difference in rates of diabetes-related foot complications in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians and non-Indigenous Australians. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13047-017-0230-5