RACS is seeking expressions of interest to develop a
network of peer supporters across all specialties
and regions in Australia and New Zealand.
We are looking for those who are interested in providing peer
support to Fellows, Trainees and IMGs involved in making or having
been the subject of a complaint within the RACS Complaints
The role of providing peer support will include:
- Enquiring as to an individuals' welfare and recommending any
professional assistance required.
- Providing advice relevant to the process of natural
- Keeping in touch periodically to ensure welfare.
The role will not include:
- Counselling or psychological first aid.
- Providing legal advice.
- Providing medical advice or prescription.
- Taking sides, enquiring or commenting as to the specifics of
Initial and ongoing training will be provided to
Fellows, trainees and IMGs interested in providing peer
Expressions of interest are now being sought and will be
assessed against the criteria below. Interested Fellows, Trainees
and IMGs are kindly requested to provide a current CV and brief
statement against the criteria to the Fellowship Services Committee
Consideration of expressions of interest will include:
- Previous experience providing pastoral care and/or
- Active clinical practice (or within 2 years of
- Availability for contact outside of regular business
- Prior completion relevant training.
- Demonstration of leadership.
- Empathy and culturally sensitivity.
- Availability to undertake relevant initial/ongoing
For additional information please contact the Director,
Fellowship and Standards John.Biviano@surgeons.org