2023 | Volume 24 | Issue 6
The Academy of Surgical Educators is pleased to announce the winners of the Educator of Merit Awards for 2023. Congratulations to the award recipients on this great achievement.
The SET Supervisor/SIMG Supervisor of the year is an award presented by the Academy of Surgical Educators to recognise an exceptional contribution by a SET supervisor/SIMG supervisor toward supporting Trainees or Specialist International Medical Graduates (SIMGs) to fulfill the goals, values and mission of the College.
This award was judged on the following criteria:
- Demonstration of the Colleges' goals, values and missions
- Inspirational role modelling as a supervisor
- Understanding and commitment to training and surgical education
- Involvement in training and continuing professional development
- Being a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons or Board accredited supervisor.
The Educator of Merit, SET/SIMG Supervisor of the Year recipients are:
• Dr Magdalena Biggar, Aotearoa New Zealand
• Dr Simon Chong, Aotearoa New Zealand
• Dr Trafford Fehlberg, New South Wales
• Dr Eric Levi, Victoria
• Dr Timothy Makeham, Australian Capital Territory
• Dr Nicola Slee, Queensland
• Dr Sabu Thomas, Western Australia
• Dr Catherine Thoo, Tasmania
The Facilitator/Instructor of the year award recognises an exceptional contribution by a course facilitator/instructor teaching Professional Development or Skills Education courses.
The award was judged on the following criteria:
- Demonstration of the College’s goals, values and mission
- Inspirational role modelling as a facilitator of professional development programming
- Understanding of and commitment to surgical education
- Demonstration of a proactive approach to leadership in professional development program delivery.
The Educator of Merit, Facilitator/Instructor of the Year recipients are:
• Dr Gregory Keogh
• Dr Alex Wurm.