About the Academy
The Academy of Surgical Educators (ASE) aims to foster and promote the pursuit of excellence in surgical education. The Academy's focus is on supporting, enhancing and recognising you as surgical educators within the College. This will be facilitated through identifying the changing needs of the faculty and addressing those needs through the professional development activities offered.
The Academy will oversight the curricular development related to generic education needs of surgeon-teachers, trainers, supervisors, assessors, and examiners - across the Boards, Court of Examiners, Professional Development and the Surgical Societies. The Academy will respect the syllabus content of the education in surgery delivered by the Training Boards and Specialist Societies. The Academy will support the education delivery and faculty development for these groups as appropriate.
It will continue to be the driving force behind the Surgical Education Program and Educational Master Class programs at the RACS Annual Scientific Congress (ASC), as well as research in the field of surgical education. Collaborations with other colleges and universities both domestically and abroad will be explored.
We invite you to apply for Academy membership. Membership is open to Fellows, Trainees and non-surgeons who have a keen interest in to surgical education.
The ASE aims to:
- Foster and promote the pursuit of excellence in surgical education;
- Advise on the strategic direction needed to develop and sustain a strong culture of professional development in surgical education;
- Explore partnerships with external organisations and universities that have the educational expertise to deliver professional development activities in surgical education;
- Advise on new and existing internal professional development activities for surgeons in order to enhance the development and delivery of surgical education;
- Advise on and conduct research into surgical education which will assist in the improvement and sustainability of the College and Specialty Society/Association surgical education and professional development activities;
- Develop the ASC Surgical Education stream and educational Master Class programs;
- Explore opportunities for collaborative research in surgical education with universities;
- Explore the development and recognition of professional pathways for surgical educators.
As an ASE member, you will receive these benefits:
- An effective community of practice;
- An outstanding webinar series;
- A range of online and face-to-face learning opportunities focusing on surgical education;
- Information on tertiary graduate and Masters programs in surgical education;
- Information on Surgical Education stream at the RACS Annual Scientific Congress;
- Invitation to collaborative events with other national and international organisations, e.g. Tri-nations meetings;
- Invitation to apply for the ASE Surgical Education Research Scholarship;
- Invitation to participate in an awards program to recognise the achievements of our Surgical Educators.