RACS Skills & Education Centre
On this page
The Skills and Education Centre has the capacity to hold multiple meetings and training courses each day. The meeting and conference rooms all contain integrated audiovisual equipment and cater for groups of all sizes.
Site inspections of the centre can be arranged for interested parties or check room availability by submitting an enquiry to the contact below.
Meeting room features
- A multipurpose training and conference area, including meeting and breakout rooms, which can accommodate groups ranging from 10 to 180 people;
- Audiovisual equipment including data projector, microphone and electronic whiteboard is included in the room hire;
- Laptops available for hire;
- Use of central outdoor garden space for morning/afternoon tea and lunch breaks;
Level 2 Training Room
150 pax theatre (180 pax requires combined rooms)
80 pax cabaret
100 pax theatre
72 pax cabaret
Level 1 Lecture Room
60 pax theatre
40 pax cabaret
Skills laboratory features
- A fully equipped flexible skills training laboratory with 9 skills benches, each serviced with water, suction, compressed air and communications cabling;
- Handling of human anatomy specimens and animal tissue;
- Accommodation for a fully equipped simulated operating theatre with ancillary areas;
- An area for computer-based simulation that can be booked by individual users wishing to practice specific skills;
- A lecture theatre accommodating 60 people;
- A breakout area for meal breaks, trade displays, etc., opening onto a courtyard;
- Skills practice for individual Fellows and Trainees*.
*Arrangements can be made for Fellows and Trainees of the College to use the facilities of the Skills Centre for independent, self-paced practice, for example laparoscopic suturing practice and endoscopy simulation (gastroscopy, colonoscopy, bronchoscopy).
Lap suturing courses
The Skills and Education Centre feature courses run by Mr Donald Murphy FRACS are held approximately every eight weeks, please contact the centre or see Fax Mentis eNewsletter for the next course date.
This course is free for College Fellows and Trainees and while all other medical professionals are welcome there is a small registration fee for non-College participants.
- Lap suturing registration form - College
- Lap suturing registration form - non-College
Frequently Asked Questions
What hours is the College open?
The College's standard opening hours are Monday to Friday, 7am to 9.30pm, and Saturday, 7.30am to 2.30pm, with the business hours being Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Is the College open outside these hours?
The College is open outside standard hours for authorised College meetings and training seminars.
Is disabled access available?
Yes, disabled access is available from the East Wing, Nicholson Street entry.
Is there parking available at the College?
Parking is limited to College permit holders only as per the 'Parking at RACS in Melbourne' policy. For details on local parking around the College refer to the following map:
Car parking around the College (PDF 106.04KB)
Can I have a tour of the College?
For interested groups, tours may be available by contacting the College Curator or telephone +61 3 9276 7447
Skills and Education Centre
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
250-290 Spring Street
East Melbourne VIC 3002 Australia
Telephone: +61 3 9249 1261
Fax: +61 3 9276 7459