Mr Daniel 'Dan' Wilks
Daniel Wilks is a UK board certified Consultant Plastic Surgeon who works full-time as a paediatric plastic surgeon at the Royal Children’s Hospital.
Daniel, originally from north west England, was employed as a Consultant Plastic Surgeon at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, UK and an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Leeds for 3 years prior to relocating to Melbourne to work in his area of specialist interest – children’s surgery.
He has undertaken a UK national fellowship in hand surgery and international fellowships at the Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne and in the United States.
He has obtained Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, FRCS (Plast) and an advanced Diploma in Hand Surgery. He is on the UK Specialist Register for Plastic Surgery.
Daniel recognises that surgery is only part of a child’s care and he works closely with a range of other professionals to ensure that all the child’s and family’s needs are met. Spending time to help the child and their family reach the decision that is best for them is a key part of Daniel’s practice.
Daniel is involved in a range of research activities. He became interested in hand and limb transplantation – a technique that can be used to rebuild missing hands – 10 years ago. He established the only licenced UK centre for upper limb transplantation in Leeds, UK prior to moving to Melbourne. Daniel has written many articles on the technique and has led surgical teams in each of the UK transplants performed to date.
Daniel has contributed over 30 scientific articles and book chapters to the international literature is co-editor of the Oxford Textbook of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He is regularly invited to present his work internationally and greatly enjoys teaching junior doctors and medical students.
- Skin Cancer-Melanoma
- British Association of Plastic and Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons
- Australian Hand Surgery Society
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- International Society for Vascularised Composite Allotransplantation
- Society of Pediatric Liver Transplantation
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (Plastic Surgery)
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons of England (Plastic Surgery)
- Advanced Diploma in Hand Surgery
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (University of Leeds, UK)
- Bachelor of Science Class I (University of Leeds, UK)