Dr Mathew Kozman
Dr Mathew A. Kozman is a Colorectal and General Surgeon appointed at the Lyell McEwin and Modbury Hospitals, in the Northern suburbs of Adelaide, South Australia. Dr Kozman specialises in minimally invasive surgery for colorectal and general surgical conditions.
Dr Kozman graduated from the University of Sydney with a Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm) in 2004, a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) in 2009 and a Masters of Surgery with Dissertation in Colorectal Surgery (MS) in 2013. Furthermore, his PhD candidature through the University of New South Wales focusses on management of advanced colorectal cancer.
Dr Kozman completed his internship/ residency and General Surgical Training in Sydney, becoming a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) in 2017. He subsequently completed an additional 3 years of sub-specialty training in Colorectal and General Surgery at Lyell McEwin Hospital (Adelaide, South Australia), North Shore Hospital (Auckland, New Zealand) and Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital (Sydney, New South Wales). This included accredited colorectal sub-specialty surgical training with the Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSSANZ). Furthermore, he is accredited with the Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA) for adult gastroscopy and colonoscopy.
Dr Kozman has a strong interest in medical education and research manifesting in extensive publications in peer-reviewed journals and several presentation at local and international surgical conferences. A listing of Dr Kozman’s publications can be found at https://scholar.google.com/citations?view_op=list_works&hl=en&user=QP_Sa58AAAAJ.
Dr Kozman is committed to teaching of medical students, junior medical officers, registrars and training sub-specialist colorectal surgeons. In addition he is committed and active in several community service initiatives.
Education and Qualification
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm) – University of Sydney (2004)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) – University of Sydney (2009)
- Masters of Surgery (MS) – University of Sydney (2013)
- Post-graduate Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – University of NSW (Current)
Further Education and Training
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) – General Surgeon (2017)
- Member of the Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSSANZ) – Sub-specialist post fellowship training in colorectal surgery (2020)
- Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA) – Recognition of training in gastrointestinal endoscopy for adult gastroscopy and colonoscopy (2017)
Areas of Interest
- Minimally invasive colorectal surgery
- Management of benign and malignant colorectal conditions (cancer, diverticular disease, inflammatory bowel disease)
- Management of perianal conditions (haemorrhoids, fistula in ano, fissure, rectal prolapse)
- Abdominal wall hernia repair (incl. laparoscopic hernia repair)
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Colonoscopy and endoscopy
- Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSSANZ)
- Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Masters of Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in General Surgery
- Member of Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand