Mr Michael Mar Fan
Dr Michael Mar Fan graduated from University of Qld Medical School in 1989. He completed his advanced training in General Surgery at the Royal Brisbane Hospital from 1993 to 1996. Post fellowship trainings were obtained in the subspecialty of colon & rectal surgery, laparoscopic colon surgery and colonoscopy from 1997 to 2000 at Singapore, Gloucester, London & Edinburgh. Dr Mar Fan was a RSO at the famed St Mark’s Hospital London in 1999.
He is currently a registered Medical Practitioner and Specialist in General Surgery in the State of Queensland under the auspices of Australian Health Practitioners and Regulation Agencies.
He is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, American College of Surgeons, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow and Royal Colleges of Surgeons England, Edinburgh & Ireland. Elected by his peers, he also hold the fellowships of the prestigious Colo rectal Surgical Society of Australia & New Zealand, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland.
He is a member of the following specialist societies; Gastroenterology Society of Australia, Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons, European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and the European Society of Coloproctology.
He is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD) and Harvard Medical & Business Schools (CSLP, eMBA equivalent)
He is currently a Senior Visiting Medical Officer to Sunnybank Private Hospital and Canossa Day Surgery. He was formerly a Senior Visiting Medical Officer at the QEII Jubilee Hospital from 2005 to 2013, prior to that was the Director of General Surgery at the same Hospital from 2000 to 2005.
His scope of clinical practice includes all facets of colon & rectal surgery and general surgery. A major part of his clinical load includes diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy & colonoscopy
His medico legal experience comprised of previous medico legal reporting’s in both public and private sectors as well as ad hoc commissioned work for various legal firms and Avant Medical Protection. He is currently a member of the Medical Assessment Tribunal (General Surgery, Vascular & Urology), Office of Industrial Relations, and Queensland Treasury since 2010. He is trained in both the AMA IV & V guides of permanent impairment rating and examination. He holds the Master Certified Independent Medical Examiners (MCIME) qualification from the American board of independent medical examiners (ABIME) and is a fellow of the American College of independent medical examiners (FACIME). He is GEPI 2 trained in digestive, urinary & reproductive, vascular, upper & lower limbs, spine, chronic pain, skin & disfigurment.
- Medico Legal
- Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia & New Zealand
- American Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons
- Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain & Ireland
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (Qld)
- Bachelor of Medical Science with Distictyion (Qld)
- XFellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the Amereican College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons England
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow
- Fellow of the International College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the Colorectal Surgicalk society of Austrealia & New Zealand
- Fellow of the American Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons
- Fallow of the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain & Ireland
- Fellow Of the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Fellow International Society of Universitry Colon & Rectal Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Independent Medical Examiners
- Master Certified Independent Medical Examiners (ABIME)
- Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Certificate of Surgical Leadership Programme (Harvard)
- Associate of the Australasian College of Legal Medicine