Prof Owen Ung
Owen Ung is a breast and endocrine surgeon and Professor of Surgery RBWH UQ clinical school. He is a council member for the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) and Chair of the Qld RACS Regional Committee.
He worked in rural and metropolitan hospitals throughout Qld, later completed his advanced surgical training at the Royal Brisbane Hospital. He undertook fellowships at Westmead Hospital in NSW and the University of Wales College of Medicine in the United Kingdom as a lecturer in surgery. From 1995 to 2008 he has was a consultant surgeon at Westmead where he headed the Breast and Endocrine surgical unit and was Director of the department of general surgery.
From the beginning of 2009 he returned to Queensland to head the Breast and Endocrine unit at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital and join the academic department of the University of Queensland School of Medicine. His established private practice is at the Wesley and St Andrews Hospitals.
Owen is a committed clinician, researcher and teacher and has obtained extensive administrative and management experience through his various clinical leadership roles. He has board positions with specialist services (medical specialist group) and MIGA (medical defence organisation).
- Member Academy of Surgical Educators
- Member Breast SurgANZ
- Member Australian Endocrine Surgeons (AES)
- Member, Australian and New Zealand Breast Cancer Trials Group
- Member, Australasian Society for Breast Disease
- Member AMA – Australian Medical Association
- Member GSA – General Surgeons Australia
- Member, Clinical Oncology Society of Australia (COSA)
- Panel Member ‘Best Doctors’ Australia and New Zealand, Global Network (2012)
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD)
- Member ISS – International Surgical Society
- Member IEAS – International Endocrine Association of Surgeons
- Executive Member BSI (secretary) – Breast Surgery International
- FRACS FAICD