Policy and guideline
Who can apply?
To be eligible for this grant you must be interested in a career in surgery AND
- provide confirmation of eligibility for membership to Te Ohu Rata o Aotearoa The Māori Medical Practitioners Association (Te ORA) or the Australian Indigenous Doctors’ Association (AIDA)
- possess a medical degree from an Australian or Aotearoa New Zealand medical school OR
- at the time of application, be enrolled in the final year of a medical degree at an Australian or Aotearoa New Zealand medical school
ActivityThe grant enables recipients to participate in the educational program of the RACS Annual Scientific Congress (ASC) which will provide opportunities to network, gain an understanding of RACS activities and discuss career path issues with RACS leadership.
The grant funds return travel to the ASC, taxis, meals, accommodation for five nights at a RACS nominated conference hotel; ASC four-day registration, ticket to the ASC dinner; and invitation to the Indigenous Doctors Roundtable Breakfast.
Your application is to include:
- your career and employment details
- a statement addressing your aspirations and commitment to pursuing a surgical career, the relevance of the activity to your current stage of training or medical career, and current and future commitment to Māori or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- evidence of eligibility for membership to Te ORA or to AIDA
- evidence of medical school enrolment or registration as a medical doctor in Australia or Aotearoa New Zealand
Selection and awarding
Selection is based upon:
- your statements addressing your aspirations and commitment to pursuing a surgical career
- how the activity will help you towards a surgical career
- how you have contributed to or are currently contributing to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health or Māori health and how you will contribute in the future.
The selection panel is comprised of members of the Indigenous Health Committee and may include other committee members and invited representatives.
- payment is made directly to the recipient by 1 March in the scholarship year (following a receipt of a valid invoice)
To applyApplication is via the Scholarships and Grants Program online platform, RACS Unlock, hosted by Survey Monkey Apply.
You may register as an applicant on RACS Unlock at any time, however applications will not display on your dashboard until the Scholarships and Grants Program application opening date. There is no need to re-register if you already have a RACS Unlock registration.
Please note: emailed applications are not accepted.
Visit RACS Unlock