About the grant
The grant, offered by the Queensland State Committee (QSC) through the Younger Fellows Advisory Group, encourages Younger Fellows to support the Queensland State Conference and RACS activities. The grant was established in 2017 and is provided thanks to the generosity of the QSC and sponsors of the Queensland Preparation for Practice workshop.
In addition to supporting the return of local Younger Fellows into practice and/or encouraging their acquisition of surgical experiences to benefit Queensland, the QSC also encourages Younger Fellows to support the Queensland State Conference and other College activities.
Conditions, policy and guideline
The recipient is required to present a brief descriptive paper at the Queensland State Conference which is held every two years in November.
Up to four grant recipients’ papers will be presented at the State Conference – two from the current grant year and two from the previous grant year:
- recipients whose grant activity falls within the year the state conference is being run, must present at that year’s state conference
- recipients whose grant activity falls within the year the state conference is not being run, must present at the following year’s state conference.
Please also refer to the:
- Learning and Development grant policy (PDF 146.03KB)
- Grant guideline (PDF 89.55KB)
Who can apply?
RACS Younger Fellows (ie who have obtained Fellowship within the past ten years) who meet the below eligibility may apply:
- working or studying in Queensland and plan to travel interstate or overseas within the 12 month grant period to further post Fellowship work or studies, prior to then returning to practice in Queensland OR
- pursuing post Fellowship work or studies outside of Queensland and will return to Queensland to practise within 12 months.
Your application is to include:
- your career and employment details
- your activity proposal including: how your activity will benefit your professional development; and contribute to improving Australian and/or Aotearoa New Zealand surgical standards and knowledge base
- the expected outcomes of your activity
- proposed costs
- for Queensland-based Younger Fellows intending to study or work interstate or overseas: a statement on how the activity will be of benefit to Queensland
- for Younger Fellows intending to return to practice in Queensland: details of practice in Queensland including the geographical and public or private surgical services or the skills you will provide
- evidence of confirmation from the institution, supervising consultant, unit or overseeing society; and/or a confirmation of public appointment or letter of intent to practice from a private hospital executive
- name and email addresses for two referees (recommenders) who will then receive an invitation to view parts of your online application and provide a recommendation.
Selection and awarding
Selection is via written application.
Should two applicants be of equal merit, preference will be given to those:
- in their earlier post Fellowship years
- who have secured structured appointments to established units
- who have not secured alternative financial support
- who are providing a new or expanded service or practicing in an area of need
- who have previously attended the QLD Preparation for Practice Workshop or the QLD State Conference
- who are involved with RACS or the Younger Fellows Committee
The selection panel is comprised of representatives from the Queensland Regional Committee and the Younger Fellows Committee.
- payment is made directly to the recipient by 1 March in the scholarship year (following receipt of a valid invoice)
Application is via the Scholarships and Grants Program online platform, RACS Unlock, hosted by Survey Monkey Apply.
You may register as an applicant on RACS Unlock at any time, however applications will not display on your dashboard until the Scholarships and Grants Program application opening date in April. There is no need to re-register if you already have a RACS Unlock registration.
Please note: emailed applications are not accepted.
Follow this link to RACS Unlock