Conditions, policy and guideline
Recipients are required to:
- present their research at the annual meeting of the Surgical Research Society of Australasia (or an agreed equivalent) at least once during, or in the 12 months following, the scholarship period.
Please also refer to:
- the Scholarships and Grants program research scholarship policy (PDF 203.34KB)
- the scholarship guideline (PDF 113.21KB)
The scholarship is valued at $125,000. A maximum of $100,000 ($90,000 stipend plus $10,000 departmental maintenance) will be funded from the Tour de Cure Cancer Research Scholarship Corpus. Recipients are required to procure $25,000 ($22,500 stipend plus $2,500 departmental maintenance) from their Research Department. This condition will be waived if the scholar receives additional research funding to the value of, or greater than $25,000. Additional funding would need to include a stipend component to offset the research department's responsibility for paying a percentage of the scholar's stipend.
Who can apply?
RACS Fellows, Specialist International Medical Graduates on the pathway to RACS Fellowship (SIMGs) and SET Trainees* may apply.
*SET applicants are ineligible for this scholarship
Your application is to include:
- your career and employment details
- your research proposal including: your project aim and research questions; research objectives; scientific literature references; research design and plan.
- a list of (up to) your five most important publications including their URL / DOI (optional)
- a list of (up to) your five most important conference presentations (optional)
- proposed budget
- names and correct email addresses for two referees (recommenders) – one of whom is your supervisor – who will then receive an invitation to view parts of your online application and provide a recommendation.
Selection and awarding
Selection is assessed via written application with shortlisted applicants invited to interview.
The selection panel is comprised of representatives of the ANZ Scholarship and Grant Committee and the Board of Tour de Cure.
Payment is made directly to the administering institution in one instalment by 1 March in the scholarship year.
Visit Tour de Cure and their Funding Opportunities page.
Please read this Surgical News article about Tour de Cure (PDF 1.12MB).
The following Surgical News articles feature previous recipients of this scholarship:
Anthony Glover (PDF 1.02MB), 2016 recipient, April 2017 edition
Andrew Gogos (PDF 798.51KB), 2015 recipient, October 2015 edition
Lipi Shukla (PDF 273.56KB), 2014 recipient, April 2016 edition
To applyApplication is via the Scholarships and Grants Program online platform, RACS Unlock, hosted by Survey Monkey Apply.
You may register as an applicant on RACS Unlock at any time, however applications will not display on your dashboard until the Scholarships and Grants Program application opening date in April. There is no need to re-register if you already have a RACS Unlock registration.
Please note: emailed applications are not accepted.
Follow this link to RACS Unlock