Being a surgeon takes more than technical excellence. To help build respect and
improve patient safety in surgery, RACS has mandated a range of
programs for Fellows, Trainees and IMGs. Read more about what you
must, and what you can do.
Complete our Operating With Respect elearning module
Have you completed Operating
With Respect (members only, login required) ? The
elearning module is mandatory. Do it now online. CPD 2017
Complete our Foundation Skills for Surgical Educators
Do you teach or train SET Trainees or supervise IMGs? The
Foundation Skills for Surgical Educators (FSSE) Course is
mandatory. Enrol now for 2017.
Operating with Respect Course
The Operating with
Respect Course provides advanced training in recognising,
managing and preventing discrimination, bullying and sexual
harassment. The aim of this course is to strengthen patient safety
by enabling participants to develop skills in respectful behaviour
and practice strategies in responding to unacceptable
Other resources (Members
Only - Login required)
RACS has developed a range of resources to help you lead the
way, build respect and improve patient safety in surgery.
Posters for your workplaces:
Show your support for our work by displaying one of our posters
at your offices, rooms and hospitals.
Posters * (PDF 12.5MB - Members only - Login required)
* NEW posters updated 8 December
PowerPoint template for presentations:
Here is a powerpoint template you can use for presentations.
Template (PPTX 911KB - Members only - Login
You can also give a presentation to others and spread the word
about what we are doing to build respect and improve patient
safety. Get the latest version of this presentation from your RACS
Images for your websites and social media:
We have created these web-friendly images for you to use to help
us promote our work.
Think about using them on your website homepages and across your
other digital channels.
Website/social media images (ZIP 1.91MB - Members only -
Use the 'Let's Operate With Respect' logo:
can click on the links below to download them to your device. You
can use these logos on any presentations or papers you do.
Download Logo images - PNG (PNG 224KB -
Members only - Login required) or JPG (JPG 574KB -
Members only - Login required)
Signature block for your email:
Help us to spread the word about our Let's Operate With Respect
work by attaching this image to your signature block.
block (PNG 67KB - Members only - Login required)
How to attach the signature block (example is for Outlook):
- Download the signature block above and save it to your
- Open a new message in email. On the Message tab, in the Include
group, click Signature, and then click Signatures.
- On the E-mail Signature tab, click New.
- Type a name for the signature, and then click OK.
- In the Edit signature box, type the text that you want to
include in the signature - your name, phone numbers, address.
- To add the image you have just downloaded, click where you want
this image to appear (usually below your details), and then do any
of the following:
- Click Picture, browse to the image that you have just
saved on your desktop, click to select it, and then click OK.
When we see unacceptable behaviour, it's up to us to call it
out. If you'd like to get involved in the 'Let's Operate With
Respect' Initiative you can:
- do the elearning online module and help make sure your
colleagues do it too
- do the Foundation Skills for Surgical Educators (FSSE) course.
It is mandatory if you teach or train SET trainees or supervise
IMGs. Enrol now for 2017
- contact your regional manager or committee, to learn more about
what you can do, including:
- posters in your workplace
- arranging local FSSE courses for you and your colleagues. FSSE
will teach you how to be a better educator and give effective
- watch out for the face to face course - Operating with Respect
- to show you how to call out unacceptable behavior when you see
it. Coming mid-2017.
If you would like to talk about an existing or new concern or
complaint please contact the RACS Manager Complaints