On this page
The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) is committed to ensuring that participants health and safety is the top priority of running any event, which includes adhering to any local, state, and federal laws, policies and restrictions, both in Australia and New Zealand. Due to the complex evolving nature of these laws and restrictions, RACS may be required to cancel a course at any time leading up to the event. Please view the RACS COVID-19 Event Safe Strategy (PDF 187.59KB) for more information.
If you are currently registered for a course from September to December 2020, please wait for advice from the College with information on the status of your course. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Candidates are encouraged to register on the course at least six weeks prior to course commencement to ensure adequate preparation. Registrations close four weeks prior to course commencement.
CLEAR courses with places available
Please note, due to high demand and COVID-19 regulations all 2020 CLEAR courses are currently full or have been cancelled.
Registrations for 2021 courses will open in November 2020, please monitor this webpage or join the Skills Training mailing list to be kept informed.
What is being done:
- We aim to offer an online version of CLEAR by the end of 2020 and are currently in the process of converting the current version to an online format for this purpose.
- To stay up-to-date with the latest information on the development of the online CLEAR course please check back regularly and join the Skills Training mailing list.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many candidates have not been able to secure a course place in 2020. For 2021 registrations, RACS may seek to increase PGY eligibility requirements to prioritise candidates who were eligible to attend courses in 2020 but unable to do so. Any changes to eligibility will be confirmed prior to 2021 course registrations opening.
- In line with COVID-19 Education Principles approved by the Board of Surgical Education and Training, Trainees and SIMGs will not be penalised if they are unable to meet mandatory requirements in 2020 such as a Skills Training course. As required, RACS will extend the time in training programs and SIMG placements by up to 12 months to ensure requirements can be met. Mandatory groups will continue to be prioritised for registration into 2021.
- RACS will work with candidates to ensure their employers, medical colleges, and other governing bodies requiring them to attend a Skills Training course are aware of the limitations in course availability this year due to COVID-19.
How to register
- Visit online registration
- Log in or create a College account
- Have your medical registration number on hand (your eligibility to attend is determined by your date of first registration)
- Full payment is required at the time of registration
- You may nominate up to six reserve places for courses that are already full
- Join the Skills Training mailing list to be kept up to date with release dates.
COVID-19 cancellation policy
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, cancellation requests for Skills Training courses will be managed in the following manner:
- Cancellations of more than four weeks prior to course: 95 per cent refund of course fee
- Cancellations of less than four weeks prior to course: No refund of course fee
This policy will apply to all courses and participants. We strongly encourage registration to local courses, as travel restrictions may change at any time.
In the event that RACS is required to cancel a course, participants will receive a full refund of their course fee.
Please do not attend a RACS event if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or are awaiting a test result. Please contact us to review your options.
As at 2 September 2020.
Withdrawals and transfers
- To withdraw from your allocated course, please complete the withdrawal form.
- Unfortunately transfers to alternative courses are not possible. Applicants are required to withdraw from their original course then register in another course.
- Please refer to the cancellation policy for details regarding course refunds.
In the unlikely event that a course is cancelled, RACS will not be held responsible for reimbursing airfare, hotel or other costs incurred by the registrant. A course can be cancelled up to three weeks prior to course commencement, whereby candidates are issued a 100 per cent refund.