On this page
The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) is committed to ensuring that participants health and safety is the top priority if running any event, which includes adhering to any local, state and federal laws, policies and restriction, both in Australia and New Zealand. Due to the complex evolving mature of these laws and restrictions, RACS may be required to cancel a course at any time leading up to the event.
If you are currently registered for a course from September to December 2020, please wait for advice from the College with information on the status of your course. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Candidates are encouraged to register in the course at least six weeks prior to course commencement to ensure adequate preparation. Registrations close four weeks prior to course commencement.
EMST courses with places available
Please note, due to high demand and COVID-19 regulations all 2020 EMST Provider courses are currently full. You can nominate a reserve place for courses that are full.
Registrations for 2021 courses will open in November 2020, please monitor this webpage or join the Skills Training mailing list to be kept informed.
What is being done:
- We are investigating the delivery of additional unscheduled courses in 2020. Please monitor the EMST webpages or join the Skills Training mailing list for updates.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many candidates have not been able to secure a course place in 2020. For 2021 registrations, RACS may seek to increase PGY eligibility requirements to prioritise candidates who were eligible to attend courses in 2020 but unable to do so. Any changes to eligibility will be confirmed prior to 2021 course registrations opening.
- In line with COVID-19 Education Principles approved by the Board of Surgical Education and Training, Trainees and SIMGs will not be penalised if they are unable to meet mandatory requirements in 2020 such as a Skills Training course. As required, RACS will extend the time in training programs and SIMG placements by up to 12 months to ensure requirements can be met. Mandatory groups will continue to be prioritised for registration into 2021.
- RACS will work with candidates to ensure their employers, medical colleges, and other governing bodies requiring them to attend a Skills Training course are aware of the limitations in course availability this year due to COVID-19.
- The EMST course is also delivered internationally (known as ATLS) in a great many countries including the USA and UK. ATLS have recommended an extension to ATLS/EMST certification of 12 months, meaning certification which would have expired in 2020 will now expire in 2021, and so forth.
Upcoming EMST Refresher 2020 course with places available:
How to register
- Visit online registrations.
- Log in or create a College account.
- Have your medical registration number and date of graduation details on hand.
- Full payment is required at the time of enrolment.
- You may nominate up to six reserve places for courses that are already full.
- Join the Skills Training mailing list to be kept up to date with release dates.
- Evidence of prior attendance may be required to register to a refresher course.
- Cancellations of more than 10 weeks prior to course: 95 per cent refund of course fee.
- Cancellations of less than 10 weeks prior to course: 50 per cent refund of course fee.
- Cancellations of less than six weeks prior to course: No refund of course fee.
This policy also applies should you elect to register to an alternative course within this time frame.
Note: Refunds take approximately 10 business days to process.
Withdrawals and transfers
To withdraw from your allocated course, please complete the withdrawal form. Unfortunately transfers to alternative courses are not possible.
Please view the Skills Training cancelled courses disclaimer (PDF 436.58KB).
Surgical Trainees are eligible to compete in the Damian McMahon Trauma Research Paper competition. For more information, please visit Damian McMahon Prize.