In reviewing price regulation associated with the prostheses list framework, RACS recommended the following:
- Each prosthetic device should be subjected to a period of independent review, overseen by relevant specialty representatives, before it is introduced into the Australian market (including a review of previously approved devices that have been subject to minor changes)
- That the superior clinical performance suffix be maintained
- Explore opportunities for improved coordination and collaboration between Clinical Advisory Groups (CAGS) and Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) that maximises the value of clinical expertise
- Continue to progress the development and introduction of global standards for superior clinical performance
- Reduce complexity and improve transparency around how prices are determined. Utilise the knowledge and experience of clinicians to understand how prostheses are evaluated in comparable markets.
Read the complete submission at the link below.