With the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) and Medical Board of Australia (MBA) soon to introduce new standards for CPD, RACS has been undertaking a comprehensive review of the CPD program to ensure we comply with the new requirements and support our Fellows in their on-going professional development.
There will be a period of transition as we move towards the new program, and we are looking forward to hearing your feedback about how we can support you and your learning goals. We have developed a roadmap to outline the upcoming changes and the CPD Team is available to assist with any questions.
In 2020, Fellows are expected to report CPD participation from 1 January to 31 December 2020 by 28 February 2021. We know that 2020 has been a difficult year and that many Fellows have experienced significant disruption to their CPD activities. We have made some adjustments to this year’s program to recognise these challenges including:
- Up to 10 points can be claimed for COVID activities in Category 2: Clinical Governance, meeting the full requirement for this category in 2020.
- An additional 10 points can be claimed for General Activities in Category 3: Maintenance of Knowledge and Skills, increasing the annual threshold to 30 points and recognising the significant reading and research activities many surgeons have undertaken this year.
- To support compliance in Category 4: Reflective Practice, Fellows can complete a Learning Plan (self-directed or using the tool in CPD Online), the new Indigenous Health Online modules or an online reflective activity available on the RACS website in November.
- RACS will not be asking Fellows to verify their CPD participation in 2020.
If you are looking for CPD activities – please visit our CPD resources page. There are many virtual and in-person activities happening in Australia and New Zealand. Visit the College Calendar for a list of events online and in-person. Under ‘Region’, select ‘Virtual’ to view all online options.
In 2021, we will be working to bring you a comprehensive CPD program that is aligned with your scope of practice and supported by a streamlined and intuitive online platform. The new program will be launched in July 2021 and we look forward to providing more information on the new program in the new year.
As we transition to the new program, there will be a condensed CPD requirement from January – June 2021 which will involve participating in two out of three activities:
- Learning Plan (available online)
- Online Activity – CPD 2021
- Attendance at the RACS Annual Scientific Congress or Specialty Society Annual Scientific Meeting
A new online platform will be available in the new year to support this interim program and Fellows participation in these activities will be automatically updated.
We encourage you to have a look at our roadmap, which is also available on our website, and if you have any questions, we are always available to help. If you have any questions or would like to have your say on CPD, please contact us on +61 3 9249 1282 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.