Plans regarding trainee redeployment during the COVID-19 pandemic
This position statement from the Academy Trainee Doctors’ Group (Academy of Medical Royal Colleges) outlines considerations when determining the best use of the trainee doctor workforce. Find out more.
Continuing professional development
We understand that while COVID-19 will impact each surgeon differently, the restriction on participation and access to continuing professional development (CPD) events will affect us all. Considering these circumstances and the rapidly changing nature of the situation, we have approved the extension of the CPD period for 2020 to May 2021. Fellows will not be subjected to verification of CPD for this period. We will develop activities throughout the year to support Fellows to meet CPD requirements. The revised RACS CPD Framework is scheduled for launch in July 2021 and we look forward to communicating changes to you throughout the year.
Elective surgery restrictions
Fellows should contact their specialty societies to get a list of elective surgery procedures that can be undertaken. Every case needs to be assessed on merit and these guidelines should assist you in making decisions on the prioritisation of procedures.
Where a society has shared this information with us we have placed it on our COVID-19 information under the heading ‘Elective surgery’.
Guidelines from the Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand
The Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ) has developed the following advice to urologists.
- Urological prioritisation during COVID-19 (elective surgery)
- Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) for urologists during COVID-19 pandemic
ANZGOSA and ANZ Metabolic and Obesity Surgery Society guidelines
ANZ Gastrooesophageal Surgical Association (ANZGOSA) and the ANZ Metabolic and Obesity Surgery Society have developed agreed guidelines for the triage of upper GI and bariatric cases during the COVID-19 pandemic. ANZGOSA have also developed guidelines for the management of cancer during this extraordinary pandemic.
- ANZGOSA general guidelines for managing patients with oesophageal and gastric cancer during COVID-19 pandemic
- ANZGOSA and ANZMOSS guidelines for triaging Upper GI and Bariatric Surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- ANZHPBA Guidelines for Management of HPB Surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic
- RACS COVID-19 information hub
- RACS guidelines for the management of surgical patients during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Optimal surgical approach during the COVID-19 pandemic by Associate Professor David Cavallucci
- The Australian Government has developed an app which holds relevant COVID-19 information. Download via Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Australian Department of Health website
- New Zealand Ministry of Health website
- Health Direct Australia