Use of personal protective equipment
We aware of concerns regarding use of, access to and training in appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). While local jurisdiction and public health unit guidelines may vary, we have produced guidelines for the management of surgical patients during the COVID-19 pandemic that address precautions in the operating theatre. In addition, many specialty societies have issued specific advice, generally available at the RACS COVID-19 information hub. ANZCA has also issued general advice in relation to PPE which may also be relevant to review.
We are actively advocating for the procurement of sufficient PPE to ensure safety of the healthcare workforce and are in regular communication with the Chief Medical Officer and health departments.
Australian Hand Surgery Society urgent elective surgery definitions
Australian Hand Surgery Society has provided its members with a list of definitions of urgent elective (hand) surgery that can be performed during the COVID-19 response. Read more.
Guidelines from the Australian and New Zealand Society for Vascular Surgery
The Australian and New Zealand Society for Vascular Surgery (ANZSVS) like other societies has been communicating directly with its members. Listed below are some guidelines that are useful for vascular surgeons.
- The American College of Surgeons guidelines. These detail many procedures and provide some discretion for individual locality, Surgeon, and patient circumstances.
- Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand guidelines. These are important as vascular surgeons are often backups for cardiac intervention.
- ANZSVS correspondence to members.
Free online mindfulness sessions – starting Saturday 4 April
Tony Dunin, an orthopaedic surgeon and mindfulness teacher and Linda Kader, a psychiatrist, have teamed up to offer a series of free online sessions for doctors in all areas of medicine in Australia as a support in this very challenging and stressful time of the COVID-19 crisis.
The first session will be on Saturday 4 April – more details in the flyer.
- Elective surgery recommendations from specialty societies
- RACS COVID-19 information hub
- Optimal surgical approach during the COVID-19 pandemic by Associate Professor David Cavallucci
- The Australian Government has developed an app which holds relevant COVID-19 information. Download via Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Australian Department of Health website
- New Zealand Ministry of Health website
- Health Direct Australia