Dr James Churchill
Dr James A Churchill is a Specialist Urologist & Robotic Surgeon and Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS). His primary practice is based in Port Macquarie, Mid-North Coast NSW, with parallel practice for the centralised management of patients with rare urological cancers at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse, Sydney. He is accredited at St George Private Hospital for care of Sydney-based patients with general Urology needs.
James has a full scope of practice in Urology and sees patients with a wide range of problems including:
- cancers of the prostate, testis, bladder, kidneys and retroperitoneal organs
- rare cancer and pre-cancerous conditions of the penis
- benign conditions of the prostate, bladder and kidneys, including stones
- erectile dysfunction, low testosterone and other andrology conditions
- circumcision and vasectomy procedures
He has completed Fellowship training in Urologic Oncology at The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester UK, with a focus on multi-visceral pelvic oncology, complex retroperitoneal surgery and penile cancer, including operating using the Da Vinci robotic surgery platform. He has published research in urology and surgical education, has won prizes for research presented at international conferences and is an active member of Australian and international professional societies.
He completed his surgical training in New South Wales following his prevocational training in Victoria. He is a graduate of the University of Melbourne (MBBS BMedSc) and completed an Advanced Medical Sciences programme researching testicular descent at the Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, under the guidance of eminent paediatric surgeon, Prof John Hutson AO.
He strives to provide the highest standards of Urologic care with professionalism and empathy and recognises the importance of a patient-centred, multidisciplinary approach. He has completed advanced training in communication and professionalism skills in complex surgical environments.
He is a strong advocate for clinician leadership and medical education. He has been a Director of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons as Chair of the RACS Trainees Association (2020), Director of the Australian Medical Association as Chair of the AMA Council of Doctors in Training (2013-14), National President of the Australian Medical Students' Association (2012) and is a Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD).
He is committed to advancing surgical education, currently undertaking a Master of Science (MSc) in Clinical Education at the University of Edinburgh and is a member of surgical training working groups and committees. He is a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Faculty of Surgical Trainers (MFSTEd) and an Associate Fellow of Advance Higher Education (AFHEA).
Outside of medicine he is a loving husband and father, and enjoys the outdoors, hiking and photography.
Dr Churchill appreciates your referral and will endeavour to work with you for the best outcomes for your patients. He offers in-person and video-conferenced consultations via the contact details below and is available for education sessions on penile cancer.
- Surgical Oncology
- Associate Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Member, Urological Society of Australia & New Zealand
- Associate Member, British Association of Urological Surgeons
- Member, European Association of Urology
- Member, American Urological Association
- Member, Société Internationale d’Urologie
- Member, Australian and New Zealand Urogenital and Prostate Cancer Trials Group
- Member, Academy of Medical Educators (MAcadMEd)
- Member, Australian Medical Association (AMA(M))
- Associate Member, Australian Indigenous Doctors' Association
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Medical Science, University of Melbourne
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Member, RCS Edinburgh Faculty of Surgical Trainers
- Member, RCS Edinburgh International Postgraduate Deanery
- Graduate Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Associate Fellow, AdvanceHE