Dr John Tawfik
Dr Tawfik is an Australian trained Orthopaedic surgeon who sub-specialises in Hand and Wrist Surgery. He completed his MB BS and B. Pharmacy at the University of Sydney in 2000. He completed Advanced Training in Orthopaedic Surgery and subsequently obtained his Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (F.R.A.C.S.) in 2009.
Internationally, Dr Tawfik undertook a 12 month fellowship in Hand, Wrist and Microsurgery at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, UK as well as at Kantonsspital st. Gallen, Switzerland. He then returned to Australia and completed the prestigious 12 month Sydney Hospital and St Luke's Hospital Hand Surgery Fellowship in Sydney, Australia.
Dr Tawfik manages all conditions of the hand and wrist including arthroscopy and microsurgery.
Presently, Dr Tawfik is a Consultant VMO in Hand Surgery at St Luke's Hospital, Potts Point and Sydney Hospital, Sydney. He is the honourary secretary of the Joint Medical Staff Council for Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye Hospital.
- Dr Tawfik is a Clinical Lecturer in Surgery at the University of Sydney and in April 2013 was awarded the John Loewenthal Medal for outstanding teaching in Microsurgery
- He is a Faculty Member of the Academy of Surgical Educators of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- He is a member of the of the Australian Hand Surgery Society and the NSW Hand Surgery Association
- He is also a member of the Australian Orthopaedic Association and the Australian Medical Association
- Dr Tawfik has given presentations at international
- national and local conferences and recently was awarded Best Scientific Paper presented at the NSW Hand Surgery Association Conference (2012)
- He has also been published in peer review Journals and written a book Chapter on the Management of Wrist Fractures