Dr Michael Byrom
Welcome. I am a modern innovative Cardiothoracic Surgeon with training and experience in New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Italy. My particular interests are
* Truly minimally-invasive cardiac surgery to the aortic valve (right anterior mini-thoracotomy, hemi-sternotomy) and lung resection (non rib-spreading VATS lobectomy)
* Mitral valve repair
* Avoidance of anticoagulation (atrial fibrillation surgery, evidence for and approaches to valve repair and tissue valve replacement in middle-aged patients)
* Surgical repair of tracheobronchomalacia
* Titanium rib and sternal plating for displaced fractures
I am also experienced in a wide range of adult cardiothoracic surgery including coronary artery bypass, aortic surgery, implantation of pacemakers/defibrillators, lung biopsy, pleurodesis for pneumothorax or effusion, and surgical left ventricular remodelling for heart failure with left ventricular aneurysm.
I have a particular focus on performing surgery at the lowest risk to the patient, with world-class low mortality despite often elderly and high-risk patients. Other complication rates including bleeding, sternal infection, and stroke for cardiac surgery, air leak or bleeding for thoracic surgery, and device infection / lead repositioning for pacemakers/defibrillators are extremely low or nil.
Lung cancer resection patients are scheduled for surgery within 30 days of appointment, other public patients also can generally be scheduled within 1-2 months of appointment, and there is no wait for private patients. I operate mainly at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (public) and Strathfield Private Hospital (private).
- Royal Australiasian College of Surgeons
- Director of Laboratory Research at the RPA Institute of Academic Surgery
- and Group Leader for Biomaterials at the Baird Institute