Mr Soong Chua
Mr Soong Chua
Orthopaedic Surgeon: Shoulder, Knee and Elbow Surgery
Soong Chua is a Melbourne orthopaedic surgeon specialising in arthroscopic and joint replacement surgery of the shoulder, knee and elbow. He has a particular interest in arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery, reverse total shoulder replacement and robotic knee replacement surgery.
Soong was born and educated in Melbourne, obtaining his medical degree through the University of Melbourne and his fellowship in Orthopaedic Surgery from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He undertook further subspecialty training internationally, spending 2014 in London and Milan, including an extended period at the world renowned Fortius Clinic. During this time, Soong gained experience in advanced surgical techniques in both arthroscopic surgery and joint replacement surgery.
On his return to Melbourne, Soong established a successful private practice with a good reputation for patient care, and achieving good outcomes using advanced techniques.
At the end of 2020, Soong was asked to join the highly esteemed group of orthopaedic surgeons at OrthoSport Victoria, to provide further shoulder expertise and advanced research. In 2022, he was elected, by his peers, to the position of secretary of the Victorian Shoulder and Elbow Society.
He has a strong interest in teaching and has been a member of faculty for local and international scientific meetings, and is a reviewer for two highly regarded orthopaedic scientific journals – Shoulder & Elbow, and, the Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine (OJSM).
Soong maintains a public appointment at the Austin Hospital, where he is the Head of Orthopaedic Unit 2, is a supervisor of orthopaedic training for the Australian Orthopaedic Association, and has served as Deputy Director of the Orthopaedic Unit.
Married with three young children, Soong is a dedicated family man, and in his downtime, enjoys golf, cricket and supporting the Hawks.
- Arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder
- Complex rotator cuff surgery including reconstruction and revisions
- Shoulder Replacement including Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement and Revision Surgery
- Arthroscopic knee surgery, including ACL reconstruction
- Robotic Knee Replacement Surgery
OrthoSport Victoria, Richmond
Epworth Eastern Ekera, Box Hill
Heidelberg Park Specialist Centre, Heidelberg
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Victorian Shoulder and Elbow Society
- Asia Pacific Knee
- Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine Society (APKASS)
- International Society for Arthroscopy
- Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
- European Society of Sports Traumatology
- Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA)
- Australian Medical Association
- Shoulder and Elbow Society of Australia (SESA)