Policy and guideline
Who can apply?
Applications are open to junior doctors who are:
- practising in rural or regional Australia or Aotearoa New Zealand (where rural, regional and remote is defined by the Monash Modified Model in Australia as MM2 to MM&, or outside the six main urban centres in Aotearoa New Zealand
- registered with RACS JDocs Program
It is desirable that applicants are members of RACS Rural Surgery Section. Recipients who are not already members will be given complimentary registration.
The grant funds travel, accommodation or course fees for a junior doctor from a rural, regional or remote location to attend a surgical skills course with preference to courses that aid in selection to the Surgical Education and Training program. Applicants must have been accepted onto a course or indicate their intention to participate on the course.
The activity for which funding is being sought must commence after the grant application closing date but prior to the end of the grant year (December 31st). All grant recipients will be required to provide an activity report at the end of the grant year outlining their progress against their proposal timeline.
Your application is to include:
- your career and employment details
- proof of rural practice and registration in JDocs
- demonstration of at least 12-month committed rotation in rural hospital at the time of application
- a submission of up to 300 words describing aspirations for a career path in rural surgery.
Selection and awarding
Should applicants be of equal merit, preference will be given to applicants who wish to attend a surgical skills course that aids in selection to the Surgical Education and Training program.
The selection panel is comprised of members of the Rural Surgery Section and the Prevocational and Skills Education Committee.
- payment is made directly to the recipient by 1 March in the scholarship year (following receipt of a valid invoice)
Application is via the Scholarships and Grants Program online platform, RACS Unlock, hosted by Survey Monkey Apply.
You may register as an applicant on RACS Unlock at any time, however applications will not display on your dashboard until the Scholarships and Grants Program application opening date. There is no need to re-register if you already have a RACS Unlock registration.
Please note: emailed applications are not accepted.
Visit RACS Unlock