In This Section
Activities of the Rural Surgery Section include:
- Rural Surgery program at the Annual Scientific Congress;
- Rural Surgery Fellowship for Provincial Surgeons - This travelling Fellowship aims to assist provincial surgeons who wish to spend time away from their practice to travel and develop existing skills or acquire new skills in a field to benefit the surgeon, the College and the community. Further information.
- Rural Coach Program for Surgical Trainees – This program has identified and supported more than eighty Trainees interested in a rural surgical career. This has been through ongoing support, advocacy and the opportunity to build their rural connections by offering financial assistance to Trainees who attend the Provincial Surgeons of Australia conference;
- Rural Surgeons Award – An award acknowledging significant contributions to surgery in rural settings in New Zealand and Australia. The award, in the form of a certificate, is presented to the winner at the annual meeting of Provincial Surgeons of Australia (PSA), the RACS Annual Scientific Congress or the New Zealand Association of General Surgeons. Further information.
- Position papers – The Rural Surgery Section provides advice and input into various College position papers such as farm injury, quad bikes, gun safety, the use of chainsaws, GP procedural surgical training and locum surgeons;
- Surgical Skills Course Grant for Rural Junior Doctors - A grant for rural-based doctors to support their attendance at a surgical skills course. Further information.