On this page
Collaboration and teamwork
Works cooperatively with peers, Trainees and other health professionals to develop a shared picture of the clinical picture of the clinical situation and facilitates appropriate task delegation to ensure the delivery of safe, effective and efficient surgical care. Works collaboratively to optimise teamwork and a patient centred care plan.
- plays an inclusive and active role in clinical teams
- establishes a shared understanding through appropriate documentation and exchange of information
- demonstrates a willingness to seek or offer a second opinion
- fosters an environment where patient safety measures are the team's responsibility
- supports conflict resolution and manages differences within the team
Communicates effectively and in a culturally competent manner with patients, families, carers, colleagues and other involved in health services in order to facilitate the provision of high quality health care. Operates with respect, denouncing unprofessional conduct including discrimination, bullying and harassment.
- gathers and understands information
- discusses and communicates options
- communicates in a respectful manner with patients, families and carers
- communicates effectively with team members, staff and colleagues
Cultural competence and cultural safety
Demonstrates a willingness to embrace diversity among all patients, families, carers and the healthcare team and respects the values, beliefs and traditions of individual cultural backgrounds which are different to their own. Promotes self-reflection, acknowledges their own biases, prejudices and stereotypes and works to mitigate their effects. Promotes a safe and inclusive health care environment and works to eliminate health inequities.
- Indigenous health. Promotes cultural competence and cultural safety across the whole health system in order to achieve equitable healthcare for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and Māori
- fosters a safe and respectful health care environment for all patients, families and carers
- promotes an inclusive and safe workplace for all colleagues and team members
Identifies and responds to the health needs and expectations of patients, families, carers and members of the health team. Responds to the health needs of communities and the health system by supporting rational, evidence based measures to improve health outcomes in the wider community. Promotes cultural competence and cultural safety to improve health outcomes in the broader community.
- cares with compassion and respect for patient rights
- responds to the social determinants of health
- demonstrates a commitment to the sustainability of the health care system
- cares for the wellbeing of colleagues
Judgement and clinical decision making
Makes informed and timely decisions regarding assessment, diagnosis, preoperative preparation, surgical management and postoperative follow up. Encourages preventative health measures to optimise patient outcomes. Promotes culturally competent and culturally safe behaviours. Understands that surgery is not always the best option for patients.
- Recognises conditions and circumstances where surgery may be needed
- Plans ahead and anticipates consequences
- Considers and discusses options
- Implements and reviews decisions
Leadership and management
Leading, providing direction, promoting high standards, matching resources to demand for services, and showing respect for all members of staff. Encourages leadership across all levels of the team.
- identifies when to lead, manage or take direction as required
- leads to inspire others
- sets and maintains standards
- supports others
Integrates and applies surgical knowledge, clinical skills and professional behaviour in the provision of patient care. Demonstrates cultural competence and cultural safety, accepting that unprofessional conduct affects patient care and outcomes.
- demonstrates medical skills and expertise
- monitors and evaluates patient care
- demonstrates a patient centred approach to quality, risk and safety
Demonstrates commitment to patients, the community and the profession through the ethical practice of surgery and demonstration of cultural competence and cultural safety.
- Demonstrates awareness and insight
- Observes ethics and probity
- Behaves in a respectful and culturally competent manner towards colleagues and team
- Maintains personal health and wellbeing
- Demonstrates ethical billing practices
Education and teaching
As scholars and teachers, surgeons demonstrate a lifelong commitment to surgical practice through reflective learning and the creation, dissemination, application and translation of medical knowledge for optimal patient outcomes.
- shows commitment to lifelong learning
- teaches, supervises and participates in assessment
- engages with research to improve surgical practice
Safely and effectively performs appropriate surgical procedures for optimal patient outcomes.
- Maintains technical skills.
- Operates safely within defined scope of practice.