Objectives of the Section
- To develop and monitor standards in academic surgical departments in Australia and New Zealand
- To enhance career pathways in academic surgery and to encourage younger surgeons to pursue opportunities in academic surgery
- To develop an Australasian curriculum for undergraduate surgery, to provide advice to Australian and New Zealand medical schools regarding appropriate surgical content, and which is appropriate for continuation to surgical education and training
- To advise RACS Council on professional and policy issues related to academic surgery, as well as issues of relevance to surgery in general
- To respond to requests from Council for consideration of relevant issues.
- To establish and maintain a registry of academically active members in order to support the Section's activities and plan appropriate workforce issues.
The Section of Academic Surgery is governed by the Academic Surgery Committee reporting to the Research & Academic Surgery Committee and the Professional Standards and Advocacy Committee.