The EAG has delivered its Final Report to the College (PDF 597.38KB) at the end of 2015.
The Final Report builds on the Draft Report (PDF 218.18KB) published in September 2015.
The Draft Report reflected the findings and feedback from five major pieces of work commissioned by the EAG in 2015, all of which are published on the RACS website and include quantitative, qualitative and organisational research.
The research found that:
- 49 per cent of Fellows, Trainees and International Medical Graduates report being subjected to discrimination, bullying or sexual harassment;
- 54 per cent of Trainees and 45per cent of Fellows (less than 10 years post-Fellowship) report being subjected to bullying;
- 71per cent of hospitals reported discrimination, bullying or sexual harassment in their hospital in the last five years, with bullying the most frequently reported issue;
- 39per cent of Fellows, Trainees and International Medical Graduates report bullying, 18per cent report discrimination, 19per cent report workplace harassment and 7per cent sexual harassment;
- the problems exist across all surgical specialties, and
- senior surgeons and surgical consultants are reported as the primary source of these problems.
'Now that the extent and impact of these issues is clear, there can be no turning back….we have been shocked by what we have heard. The time for action has come.'-EAG Chair, Rob Knowles AO
- Read the EAG's Final Report to the College (PDF 597.38KB)
- Read the EAG's Final Report media release (PDF 217.96KB)
- Read the EAG's media release (PDF 205.51KB)
- Read the RACS media statement responding to the EAG Draft Report (PDF 101.94KB)
- Watch the apology from the RACS President
- Read the results of the Prevalence Survey
- Read the report of experiences of people who shared their stories of discrimination, bullying and sexual harassment in the practice of surgery
- Read the submissions to the Issues Paper
- Read the report of online, facilitated discussions (PDF 446.62KB) of EAG, Fellows, Trainees and International Medical Graduates
- Read the report of the Organisational Survey (PDF 2.35MB)