On this page
Recommendations from specialty societies
RACS consulted with its specialty societies who committed to providing Fellows with guidelines on elective surgery. The latest recommendations received from specialty societies are listed below.
Neurosurgical Society of Australasia
Restoration of Elective Neurosurgery
New Zealand Association of Plastic Surgeons (NZAPS)
Letter to NZAPS members (PDF 201.89KB) (August 2021)
New Zealand Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (NZSOHNS)
NZSOHNS Guidelines Addressing the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF 165.3KB) (August 2021)
Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
ASPS position on surgery during the Covid 19 pandemic (September 2021)
Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery (ASOHNS)
ASOHNS COVID resources
Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ)
Guideline Principles of Urological Healthcare Management in the COVID Era (September 2021)
To view older updates, visit our 2020 updates page.
RACS guidelines on COVID-19 safe practice
The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) has produced various guidelines on COVID-19 safe practice.
RACS developed these evidence-based reports to ensure surgeons and other health practitioners have the most up to date information to inform best practice safe surgery during the pandemic.
The guidelines have been produced to aid surgeons make the correct clinical judgement and decision making in healthcare delivery. They also equip practitioners with trusted information to inform engagement with patients.
We encourage our Fellows, Trainees and Specialist International Medical Graduates to use these guidelines and also follow the direction of their respective chief medical officer, health jurisdiction and relevant specialty society sources.
In this time of widespread distribution of information, sometimes coming from what seems like authoritative sources, RACS recommends that before acting on such reports, people should check information with their family doctor or surgeon and follow the official advice from their local Chief Health Officer.
Download our rapid review reports and guidelines.
- Influence of COVID-19 vaccines on surgical practice -A rapid review commissioned by RACS (PDF 1.35MB)
- Delaying surgery for patients recovering from COVID-19 - A rapid review commissioned by RACS (PDF 631.07KB)
- Guidelines on the Preoperative Diagnostic Workup for COVID-19 -A rapid review commissioned by RACS (PDF 936.77KB)
- RACS guidelines for safe surgery: open versus laparoscopic (PDF 724.89KB)
- Surgery triage: responding to the COVID-19 pandemic - A rapid review commissioned by RACS (PDF 692.41KB)
- Guidelines for Personal Protective Equipment -A rapid review commissioned by RACS (PDF 1.18MB)
- Position Statement: Guidance for Endoscopy Training in New Zealand and Australia in the peri-COVID-19 era (PDF 185.6KB)
Please visit our COVID-19 resources page to see a list of further resources and downloads.