In This Section
On this page
View past editions in the Surgical News archive.
Surgical News content submission deadlines 2020
|January/February||Friday 15 January||Mid February|
|March/April||Friday 12 March||Mid April|
|May/June||Friday 14 May||Mid June|
|July/August||Friday 16 July||Mid August|
|September/October||Friday 10 September||Mid October|
|November/December||Friday 29 October||Early December|
Editorial submission guidelines
- When thinking of a story idea or when drafting your piece, please keep in mind editorial principles:
- independence and balance
- accuracy and clarity
- bi-national appeal – of interest to our Australian and New Zealand readers.
- Think critically about how your piece is informing or educating the reader.
- Does your piece have at least an element or more of “news” value i.e. prominence, proximity, significance, human interest, newness or unusualness?
- Is your piece unbiased, peer reviewed where relevant, referenced? Does it include a disclosure statement for credibility where required?
- Please note that your piece, if of a clinical nature, may be subject to independent review, for example by Dr John Quinn, Mr Richard Lander or Professor Julian Archer.
- All stories and photographs must be approved by the content owner. If your content and/or image are related to our global health work, consent must be obtained in accordance with our Ethical Stories and Images Policy (PDF 178.77KB).
- Please keep your piece to a maximum of 400 – 500 words.
- Surgical News will not run editorial contributions that may be considered commercial or advertorial in nature. Please refer to the media kit (in the advertising section below) for all advertising enquiries.
Editorial submission process
Before submitting your piece, please review the following steps for submission:
- Check the Surgical News editorial schedule (above) for publication dates and copy submission deadlines.
- Email email@example.com with:
- Your name, title, RACS ID
- Topic you wish to cover and a one paragraph summary of your idea
- The Surgical News team will review your idea and will let you know whether to proceed with your submission.
- If your piece is co-authored, please ensure appropriate approvals are in place.
- Please fill in and attach the submission form (PDF 210.57KB) with your piece.
- Attach images or illustrations with captions (please see the submission form for tips on file size). Please contact Surgical News for assistance if you experience any issues (e.g. due to large file size) emailing your images.
- Surgical News reserves the right to decline a submission or postpone articles. In this case you will be provided with the rationale for this decision.