In This Section
Surgical News is our bi-monthly publication that includes articles of interest in areas including surgery, research activities, College events and courses, and news on our overseas programs. Surgical News welcomes contributions from Fellows, Trainees and SIMGs.
On this page
Surgical News volume 24 issue 1 (PDF 12.19MB)
Surgical News volume 24 issue 1 - Flipbook
View past issues in the Surgical News archive.
Surgical News content submission deadlines 2023
|Vol 24, issue 1: Jan - Feb||6 Jan 2023 (due to the holiday season)||Mid-Feb|
|Vol 24, issue 2: Mar - Apr||28 Feb 2023||Mid-Apr|
|Vol 24, issue 3: May - Jun||28 Apr 2023||Mid-Jun|
|Vol 24, issue 4: Jul - Aug||30 Jun 2023||Mid-Aug|
|Vol 24, issue 5: Sep - Oct||31 Aug 2023||Mid-Oct|
|Vol 24, issue 6: Nov - Dec||31 Oct 2023||Mid-Dec|
Editorial submission guidelines
- When thinking of a story idea or when drafting your piece, please keep in mind editorial principles:
- independence and balance
- accuracy and clarity
- bi-national appeal – of interest to our Australian and Aotearoa New Zealand readers.
- Think critically about how your piece is informing or educating the reader.
- Does your piece have at least an element or more of 'news' value i.e. prominence, proximity, significance, human interest, newness or unusualness?
- Is your piece unbiased, peer reviewed where relevant, referenced? Does it include a disclosure statement for credibility where required?
- Please note that your piece, if of a clinical nature, may be subject to independent review, for example by Dr John Quinn, Professor Spencer Beasley or Dr Sarah Rennie.
- All stories and photographs must be approved by the content owner. If your content and/or image are related to our global health work, consent must be obtained in accordance with our Ethical Stories and Images Policy (PDF 178.77KB).
- Please keep your piece to a maximum of 400 – 500 words.
- Surgical News will not run editorial contributions that may be considered commercial or advertorial in nature. Please refer to the media kit (in the advertising section below) for all advertising enquiries.
Editorial submission process
Before submitting your piece, please review the following steps for submission:
- Check the Surgical News editorial schedule (above) for publication dates and copy submission deadlines.
- Email email@example.com with:
- Your name, title, RACS ID
- Topic you wish to cover and a one paragraph summary of your idea
- The Surgical News team will review your idea and will let you know whether to proceed with your submission.
- If your piece is co-authored, please ensure appropriate approvals are in place.
- Please fill in and attach the submission form (PDF 352.6KB) with your piece.
- Attach images or illustrations with captions (please see the submission form for tips on file size). Please contact Surgical News for assistance if you experience any issues (e.g. due to large file size) emailing your images.
- Surgical News reserves the right to decline a submission or postpone articles. In this case you will be provided with the rationale for this decision.
Please refer to our 2023 advertising & media kit (PDF 3.16MB) for advertising in Surgical News. Any questions can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College also advertises surgical vacancies on our website. For further information and rates refer to the Surgical vacancies page or contact the website administrator.